SOLVED Some weird problem.

Reaction score
Okay, I decided to find the culprit that has been hassling me for months now, Don't know exactly how long. but lately it has been a pain in the ass.

Problem: My Computer Works as it should but the problem is that it refuses to show VGA when booting it up. my specfications and known problems below "Tried"

Tried: Change all Ram, Tried 1,2,3,4 Stickes. Tried removing 1 GPU ehm... hard to tell what to try more. Installed all latest drivers, reinstalled windows several times. reseted bios with power/reset button, not CMOS reset

Rig:
Case: I wrote it here just incase, Fractal Design Define R3 Arctic White
CPU: AMD Phenom II 965, Revision 3
Motherboard: ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
BIOS: Latest from ASUS website
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance (More info about them on my profile)
GPU1: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD6870 1GB
GPU2: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD6850 1GB - Crossfired to GPU1
SSD1: OCZ Agility 3 60GB (System)
HDD1: Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB
HDD2: Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB
HDD3: Western Digital Green 2TB ( Ripped it of a Elements drive )
CPU Cooler: Antec Kuhler H2o 60 or something
PSU: Corsair TX850
FANS: Currently 6 Fans Installed & Running, Had once 8 but one died and one had to be removed since i had to open the case A LOT

Known issues:
I accidently destroyed a USB port with my Keyboard (Luckily it was my HUB connector) on my Tt eSport G1 Meka

One Sata port has stopped working for some reason.

I will provide Dump files when/if my computer BSOD's again. I got the kernel but dont have minidump
if Needed I can provide DXDIAG, memtest86+ (Can run it when I go to bed)

So far the only solution I got so far is: Buy new motherboard+CPU (Going Intel if I can find a sweet deal) but the problem is that it will take more than 6 months before I can save up that much cash. currently on a VERY tight budget since I bought a Samsung S3 and laptop. but if anyone has ANY kind of idea. what the problem might be. do tell me.

Additional information: I had this motherboard with a different PSU before where the PSU took a while to turn off. after turning off. like a minute before the fan stopped running and made a electrical noise. (I am sensitive against that so I had to buy a NEW PSU) so the old PSU Might had damaged my motherboard. Not sure. Cannot FIND anything wrong with the components. Also I want to say that the Computer can sometimes Freeze and Unfreeze. but today i saw something super weird was that my CPU was at 100% (rainmeter) and was very slow for some reason. then BSODED when I tried to reboot the computer

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Problem: My Computer Works as it should but the problem is that it refuses to show VGA when booting it up.
I am not sure I understand, but if I do, this may not be a problem at all - at least not with the computer.

When you say "VGA", do you mean you cannot see the boot process until the graphics drivers are loaded and the final resolution is set?

If so, then my "guess" is you are using a digital feed to the monitor and it is your monitor that does not like standard VGA. This was a problem (lack of support - not really a "fault")with early digital LCD monitors and may still be a problem with some (likely budget) monitors. It can be particularly frustrating - especially if you want to access the BIOS Setup Menu because you have swap cables between digital and analog inputs just to see the menu. :(

If the computers works fine once booted, that would be my first guess.

That does not explain, however, your other issues with BSODs, freezing, and dead ports.

Heat could be an issue. Note I am not a fan of alternative cooling solutions because they typically don't address the cooling requirements of the rest of the components - especially those heat sensitive/generating devices the designers purposefully place around the CPU socket to take advantage of the "OEM" coolers properties.

So far the only solution I got so far is: Buy new motherboard+CPU (Going Intel if I can find a sweet deal) but the problem is that it will take more than 6 months before I can save up that much cash.
Another problem there is your current Windows license. If it is an OEM version that was bought for, or came with your current computer, then it is NOT legally transferable to your new motherboard as a new motherboard (when not an exact replacement) is considered a new computer, thus needing a new license. So if your current license is an OEM, you will need to budget in another $100 for a new license too.

Note I am just the messenger. The terms are clearly stated in our EULAs - which we agree to abide by when we first decide to use the software (in this case, on your current system).

Reaction score
I am not sure I understand, but if I do, this may not be a problem at all - at least not with the computer.

When you say "VGA", do you mean you cannot see the boot process until the graphics drivers are loaded and the final resolution is set?

If so, then my "guess" is you are using a digital feed to the monitor and it is your monitor that does not like standard VGA. This was a problem (lack of support - not really a "fault")with early digital LCD monitors and may still be a problem with some (likely budget) monitors. It can be particularly frustrating - especially if you want to access the BIOS Setup Menu because you have swap cables between digital and analog inputs just to see the menu. :(

If the computers works fine once booted, that would be my first guess.
okay, I will try and use a VGA cable on one of my screens. (Got VGA-DVI-HDMI selection) using 1xDVI,1xHDMI and 1xDP to DVI atm the moment, but I Was using a 32" HD LCD. now I am using 3xLED Screens. so I do not believe this is the problem, but I will try this.

Also about the OEM, I am using Retail since I custom ordered this computer and thought i should spend the extra money on getting retail just in case I ever upgrade or change Motherboard.

Thanks for the tips!

Also about freezing, I believe it might be the heat. Ever since Eyefinity setup my computer likes to reboot sometimes. so I believe this is the case. I will try it out when I buy aftermaket coolers for my GPU's and use stock CPU cooler. tho this will take a time till I can do this option. since after market GPU coolers for 2 GPU's is quite expensive, but I am currently monitoring the heat on speedfan atm. so I will see if its exactly a heatproblem

Last edited by a moderator:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
but I Was using a 32" HD LCD. now I am using 3xLED Screens. so I do not believe this is the problem, but I will try this.
But remember, when your computer first boots up, it ONLY knows how to communicate at very basic (read: VGA) resolutions. This is the same with ALL monitors, ALL graphics solutions (integrated or cards) and ALL operating systems. It is only after the computer makes it through POST and the hard drive is hit to load up the specific graphics drivers that the final resolutions are set.

Also, when the computer first boots, it does not know you have more than one monitor connected. So the default is to send the boot screens out to your "Primary" monitor and it is that one that must be able to sync up.

Reaction score
Hmm, I think the problem lies in Overheating of Northbrigde or GPU. I bought some Isopropyl alcohol yesterday from the drug store so I can clean up everything and reapply some thermal grease. I noticed my computer was crashing like hell and my mate told me it probably is my Northbridge I will try and find one of my fans if not I will move one of my front fants to bottom fan.

My frequent crashes came from going from 2xScreens to Eyefinity//3xScreens. I didnt have that many problems on 2xScreens (I had a 15" 1024x768 screen next to a 32" 1080p)
now I got 3x1080p. (connected to a Eyefinity verified adapter (Displayport -> DVI Single from XFX)

I will try to get change of thermal gease today if not,. then tomorrow. need to clear some space for air ventilation otherwise I might get affected by it... dont wanna visit the hospital.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
it probably is my Northbridge I will try and find one of my fans if not I will move one of my front fants to bottom fan.
You are looking for good front-to-back flow through the case.

As for the Northbridge, it should not need its own fan if it never originally had one. But it may need that "expected" flow it would normally get from using the "expected" OEM cooler. You might try running with the side panel off and blasting a desk fan in there.

Do you really need to use Eyefinity?

Reaction score
You are looking for good front-to-back flow through the case.

As for the Northbridge, it should not need its own fan if it never originally had one. But it may need that "expected" flow it would normally get from using the "expected" OEM cooler. You might try running with the side panel off and blasting a desk fan in there.

Do you really need to use Eyefinity?

As for northbridge, It didnt have a FAN, and it was a ASUS motherboard.
I believe I solved my problem since my computer hasn't crashed since last evening. I will return in a day or two to say if I had problems.

For Eyefinity, Sometimes its fun to play Eyefinity for simulation games (the racing type)
but am I using 3xMonitors. and its damn nice.

I believe the main problem (Crashes, BSOD's and such) were from Bad Thermal Grease.

I removed all the old Thermal Grease with Isopropyl alcohol that I got from the drugstore. (that was some strong smelling stuff. had to take it very easy near well ventilated)
And added some new thermal grease to everything (CPU, GPU1, GPU2, NB) and fixed it. I don't really know where the problem since I didnt see any wrong temps. but It seems it fixed it maybe I got some paper when I cleaned last time and it got burned and created a air bubble (liky my friend suggested) I don't really know. but one thing for sure... ASUS uses thermal tape... that was annoying... I prefer thermal glue for NB's... didn't have some so I just added some thermal grease to the places where was needed. (they weren't completely covered) I know I did wrong by not removing the old one. but sometimes you have to bend the rules when you dont have everything you need.

TL;DR:
Had a problem with thermal heat problems somehow & somewhere. Fixed it with reapplying everything.

Also about my computer, I got 2xIntake infront. 2xOuttake on the top, Water Cooling All-in-One (Antec Kuhler H2O 60 or something like that) with 2 Fans on it. (Push-Pull)
So I shouldn't have that many problems with ventilation. I do have a slot for Botttom & Side fans but Only have a fan that I placed somewhere.... That I cannot find. one fan was getting 2 old and starting make noises that don't belong to a healthy fan.

Edit:
About the VGA/DVI/HDMI Bios thingy. I can use normal screens on my Bios. and I can see everything but what happend was that It took 1 to 100 tries before I got screen. meaning that Nothing in GPU department loaded. I don't even think it went past BIOS. I didn't have a speaker connected since I couldn't find a speaker (I should have one somewhere.... I really need to buy a toolbox and screwbox for Computers so I got everything in 1 place... Maybe that will be a christmas present for myself)

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I know I did wrong by not removing the old one. but sometimes you have to bend the rules when you dont have everything you need.
That's true, but sometimes it is better to have patience and wait until you do have everything you need. Next time, it would be better to wait so you can apply a proper layer to thoroughly cleaned surfaces.

But I do worry a bit. It should be noted that a proper layer of TIM should be as thin as possible and I worry that you applied too much. Remember, the best heat transfer occurs with direct, metal-to-metal contact. The TIM is there to push out any trapped insulating air left in the microscopic pits and valleys of the mating surfaces. Any excess is in the way and counterproductive to the heat transfer process.

I do have a canned text on using TIM I can post, if requested.

Reaction score
But I do worry a bit. It should be noted that a proper layer of TIM should be as thin as possible and I worry that you applied too much.
DO note that I used less TIM than there was the old thermal tape. I looked at the parts where was tape and where there wasnt. I tried to apply it so correctly as possible, I know that TIM should be less than 0,1nm thick for it to work perfectly, but I am not a machine so the best I can do is get it as thin as possible while everything is covered. (I think I had it down to 0,1 to 0,2mm thick. It was my best apply ever! I did spend up to 10 minutes applying TIM on both GPU's for ideal application.

I believe I lowered the tempature by a degree on my GPU #1 (Celsius for that matter)
Here are some statics on Speed Fan
Exotics

and for normal view

Currently the activity on GPU was @ 0. but I am running 2xFlash Games on Chrome... (The Settlers Online) so this is more of my web usage statics. reason for low uptime is I just woke up

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Sorry for my late reply. I found the email notification of your reply in my Gmail spam folder! :( I like Gmail but they sure have a lot of false positives. So if you use Gmail, check your spam folders every couple weeks or you will likely have some good emails get deleted.

Your temps look good. And the flames by your GPU is misleading. 58°C for GPU is warm - not even "very warm".

Ask a Question