Successful Windows 7 64bit install on VMWare Fusion - 2.4Ghz Macbook Pro

Reaction score
I had a clean, uneventful install of Windows 7 on my Macbook in a Fusion vm session. There were no crashes, etc. It's running stable (posting this message currently from IE8 in Windows 7). It rivals my Windows XP SP3 virtual session on boot speed. I'm currently loading applications and testing hardware. Will post back any problem findings.

Specs:
Macbook Pro 15", 2GB RAM, 200Gb 7200RPM HD, VMWare Fusion Version 2.01. VMware settings: 1Gb, Dual Processors enabled, 3D video enabled, VMSession 64 bit Vista setting.

Q

Last edited:
Reaction score
Google Chrome in 64Bit Windows 7 (Working)

I read reports that Google Chrome didn't work in Windows 7 64Bit without using the command line --in-process-plugins. (I see postings where everyone is saying it works OK in the 32Bit version without modification). I had to download a standalone version to install as the online installer was crashing. After installation I found multiple sites that said to use: –in-process-plugins after the startup line on the shortcut. This didn't work for me. It allowed Chrome to startup but I couldn't browse any sites. I found another site that said to use -no-sandbox. This seems to work perfectly. (typing on this site from Chrome now in Windows 7 64Bit). Some say to use quotes "" around the path. I didn't and it works fine on mine. (Actually when I added them it took them away after I saved the modified path.)

Full path:C:\Users\Q\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe -no-sandbox

(Note the C:\Users\"Q" is my login profile and will be different on every machine so just modify the path by adding -no-sandbox.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Crash with Windows 7

Novell Client for Vista SP1 was installed and I could connect but when I tried disconnecting from a Netware OES 2 server it crashed with a blue screen error and dumped the memory. I believe it was a nccache.sys error. After a reboot Windows 7 didn't start back up and I had to reboot the VMWare session in which the Windows 7 recovery came up. It recovered back to a restore point (before the Novell client install) and all was OK. I found Vista SP1 "Interim release 1" released this month so I'm testing it. By a few google searches it seems this blue screen can be frequent on native Vista machines with Novell client. I read an article where you could disable caching in the client and this could go away.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Google Earth

Google Earth in DirectX mode locks up Windows 7 hard. (At least in my Fusion VMWare session.) Tried it twice. It works well in OpenGL mode without lockups. Will test some compatibility modes later...

Reaction score
Novell Client for Vista SP1 was installed and I could connect but when I tried disconnecting from a Netware OES 2 server it crashed with a blue screen error and dumped the memory. I believe it was a nccache.sys error. After a reboot Windows 7 didn't start back up and I had to reboot the VMWare session in which the Windows 7 recovery came up. It recovered back to a restore point (before the Novell client install) and all was OK. I found Vista SP1 "Interim release 1" released this month so I'm testing it. By a few google searches it seems this blue screen can be frequent on native Vista machines with Novell client. I read an article where you could disable caching in the client and this could go away.
I installed the Novell Vista Client 1.0 SP1 (IR1) Interim Release. The nccache.sys error has went away when trying to disconnect from the server, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
doing better than me

I am having this constant problem were when tring to wake the pc up from sleep mod windows 7 64 locks down today by far was the worst had to kill the power like 3 times before it would even function non of the base programs would function everything was wighted out final it tried to shutdown but would not fully shut down. Then after restart bam it is fine like nothing happened but the funny thing is no errors or anything but I bet that in the morning when I try to wake it up agian I will have the same issues.

Ask a Question