Unsuccessful upgrade to Windows 7

Reaction score
am stuck. Downloaded windows 7 Premium 64 bit then created a bootable CD. Got through the installation but message said Upgrade unsuccessful. Windows will return to previous version. Do not restart computer. This message keeps going in a loop. Upgraded from Vista and performed the compatibility without a problem. What do i do now?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The upgrade "recommends you back up your system first" for just such issues. I would probably try installing W7 from the DVD again and it may just correct itself. If not then either fresh install Vista or W7, install all your programs, and restore your data from the back-ups if you made any.

Reaction score
am stuck. Downloaded windows 7 Premium 64 bit then created a bootable CD. Got through the installation but message said Upgrade unsuccessful. Windows will return to previous version. Do not restart computer. This message keeps going in a loop. Upgraded from Vista and performed the compatibility without a problem. What do i do now?
Just to make sure that you are aware of these.......

1. Cross upgrade is not supported.
Ex. upgrade from Vista 32-bit to Win 7 64-bit is not supported.
In order to upgrade from a 32-bit to a 64bit, you will need to do a clean install which will wipe out everything you have in Vista.

2. You need to abide by the upgrade path.......which version of Vista do you have?

Last edited:

Ask a Question