Windows 7 system restore unsuccessful.

Reaction score
I recently encountered what I think was a Malware problem (I believe a TDL variant), and finally decided to do a system restore, but the kind that backups your data.

If you want to know more about that part, let me know.

Currently though, after it went through all the other steps and restarted, it comes up with an error "Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation." Restarting does not help.

This is with the SATA set to ACHI mode; on IDE mode, the computer will suddenly shut down before anything happens, and restart.
This is on all startup modes, including safe mode, etc.

I can still access the command prompt, and with it run explorer.exe and run all kinds of programs, but some with limited functionality. I am on my computer as I type this, in fact, and will provide a screenshot.

Anyways, if you have a solution that uses the cmd, let me know, as I do not have any boot/installation disks, and would prefer to not go through the trouble of getting one.
Also, if you think it's a good idea to backup my data really well before using your solution, let me know.

Seems I'm just without my OS at the moment, which is Windows 7, of course.

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't notice your post sooner ...

You might try downloading the several copies of RKILL to see if they could help as it's quite possible you are still infected or were reinfected from a copy stored on your HD.

In truth, the safest thing would be to format and then ... restore from a backup image or, if you don't have one, to do a complete reinstall from W7 DVD but then you've lost your data.

Reaction score
Trog, let me guess.....you have Norton Antivirus, right?
If you do, Norton, by default, thinks you are a hacker trying to tamper with the antivirus program, so it is preventing your System Restore.
Here's the solution:
Look in Norton's Settings. Under Misc. settings, there's a setting called
"Norton Product Tamper Protection". Set this switch to OFF.
Then do your system restore.
That should do it!

Last edited:

Ask a Question