Another successful Windows 7 install

Reaction score
This forum is filled with people looking for aid with their botched upgrades, quirky installs or driver desperation for old hardware. I thought I'd provide a lighter tale for everyone today as something of a change of pace.

My mother is having (minor) surgery tomorrow to repair a torn meniscus, and one of the post-op orders is that she elevate her leg above her heart for two days. This means she'll be in bed and away from the Internet, which is a tragic occasion for anyone in my family. Except, however, my brother has an old laptop that's at least five years on at this point, but otherwise no worse for the wear.

It has a Core Duo T2500 (32-bit), 1GB of RAM and an ATI Radeon Mobility X1600. It was cutting edge for its time and, more importantly, built with an intelligent selection of parts, which I figured meant it wouldn't be all that hard to load Windows 7 on it. I was right!

After cleaning off the junky old Windows XP install, I loaded Windows 7 on the lapper in about 45 minutes. Another 15 minutes with Windows Update, and the system had every patch and every driver automatically installed and ready to go.

Not only does the laptop work every bit as well as it did with a fresh Windows XP install, my mother loves it. :)

This is the 14th successful Windows 7 install I've performed. 14/14 ain't bad.

Reaction score
Wishing you mother a speedy recovery.

My install rate is only 2/2, not much but still 100% no matter how you look at it.

Reaction score
4 computers loaded with Win 7 and all went smoothly. This was prolly the easiest version Windows has had too date and so far all installs were spot on. I can only hope that Win 8 is as good as 7 was!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Great track record! I'm 11 of 12. The one that didn't work the first was that the BIOS needed to be updated to recognize the AMD Phenom CPU Dual-core Processor.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thrax, I hope that your mother recovers well. That laptop you brought back to life will help keep her occupied. I have a five year old Dell that I installed 7 on, it runs far better than XP does on it. Just no Aero. I'm 3 of 3 on installing 7. I hope that I get 14 chances to install 7, that's terrific!

Reaction score
Nice story and excellent success rate. I'm only a 2/2 on my installs, one laptop and one desktop and no problems.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I hope you mom gets well soon! For me it's been 100% success so far - 4 of 4 on Win7 installs, 3 for PC, 1 for laptop....not that many but the more the merrier :)

Reaction score
Thanks to Nibiru we lost our 100% install rate. :lol:

Sorry Nibiru, I couldn't resist. :)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I install Windows 7 enerally, for a little pocket money.
I have not,and probably will not, try an upgrade. I always run a check on customers hardware, before agreeing to install.
Having burbled all that, I cannot understand the failure rates I read about on forums. I would guess, at the moment, I have a success rate somewhere around 60/60
hey thrax. Hope she gets well soon, but interesting tip comes out there. If and when I need to be confined, I,ll check around for a hospital with wireless internet - lol.

Reaction score
This forum is filled with people looking for aid with their botched upgrades, quirky installs or driver desperation for old hardware. I thought I'd provide a lighter tale for everyone today as something of a change of pace.

My mother is having (minor) surgery tomorrow to repair a torn meniscus, and one of the post-op orders is that she elevate her leg above her heart for two days. This means she'll be in bed and away from the Internet, which is a tragic occasion for anyone in my family. Except, however, my brother has an old laptop that's at least five years on at this point, but otherwise no worse for the wear.

It has a Core Duo T2500 (32-bit), 1GB of RAM and an ATI Radeon Mobility X1600. It was cutting edge for its time and, more importantly, built with an intelligent selection of parts, which I figured meant it wouldn't be all that hard to load Windows 7 on it. I was right!

After cleaning off the junky old Windows XP install, I loaded Windows 7 on the lapper in about 45 minutes. Another 15 minutes with Windows Update, and the system had every patch and every driver automatically installed and ready to go.

Not only does the laptop work every bit as well as it did with a fresh Windows XP install, my mother loves it. :)

This is the 14th successful Windows 7 install I've performed. 14/14 ain't bad.
Maybe I'm wrong, but as with earlier operating systems, most of the problems posted on forums seem to originate with updated systems, and NOT with fresh installs.:)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Best wishes on a speedy recovery! :)

I've also had good luck with Windows 7 on old hardware. My old Dell X1 laptop with a 1.3Ghz Centrino and 1GB ram runs even better than I expected - although it has an old integrated graphics chipset which does limit things.

Ask a Question