Re-installing WIN7

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Being that my present hard drive is a SATA, won't the drive just plug into where the other one is? You mentioned a cord being needed. Nibiru, I've never swapped a hard drive in my life, I'm not afraid to, but it will be my first time. I just don't want to screw anything up.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
An extra cord would only be needed if you were installing and using 2 drives at the same time. As it is, you are correct that a new Sata drive will plug right in where your current drive is. There are only 2 connection, the data cable and the power cable and they are not difficult to unplug (waaay easier than the old IDE power connectors that can be had to unplug even if you have no dissabilities).

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks draceena, I was wondering about the need for a cord. I don't have room in this desktop for two drives. It's one of those all in one "slimline" models, that I caught on sale. I've upped the RAM to 4GB, from 2GB, now I want a larger drive, and a higher quality one, too. I haven't decided whether to keep my old one "just in case", as I did my old RAM sticks, or make another external drive out of it. I'll figure that out later.:)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yup... check this one out! It's from Newegg! Bare drive... you would need to get a SATA cable, if you don't have one. No fancy retail box, just the drive.

Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
  • 750GB
  • 7200 RPM 32MB Cache
  • SATA 3.0Gb/s

• Cache: 32MB
  • Features: High Performance Electronics Architecture Dual processor - Twice the processing power to maximize performance. 32 MB cache - Bigger, faster cache means faster performance. Rock Solid Mechanical Architecture StableTrac - The motor shaft is secured at both ends to reduce system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking, during read and write operations. NoTouch
  • Parts: 5 years limited
  • Labor: 5 years limited
  • Model #: WD7501AALS
  • Item #: N82E16822136283
  • Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

• $79.99
  • Free Shipping!

Image Viewer

Thanks for the info, Nibiru! I researched it, that is one of their top line drives. Caviar Black is a great drive, no vibration. I'll figure out what to do with the one that's inside of it now later. I may decide to keep it like it is, "just in case", like I did with my old RAM sticks. You never know when you may need spare parts. By the way, before I forget it, I did order it. It should be here Tuesday, or possibly Wednesday.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Zomby88 is not giving a reason. If one does not give a reasonable explanation for what they stated, then I tend to take it with a grain of salt.

I know that I had no issues at all.

The only reason I know of would be if one installed an OEM version of the OS and then installed it again on a completely different system, new hardware, etc.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Zomby is not giving a reason, and I agree, that's too bad because it makes the point, pointless.

But I agree with him - and here's the reason. You have not told us what type license you bought. You said this will most likely take longer than 30 days, and wondered if Microsoft might give you grief. It depends on what type of license you bought. If you bought an OEM license, then you are not legally allowed to install it on a 2nd computer - even if you uninstall it from the old. So yes, MS might (they usually don't but they might) give you grief and you will have to explain your intentions. But if you bought a retail copy of Windows, then as long as it is only on one computer at a time, you are fine - legally. BUT, you still might have to explain your intentions because it might appear you are installing it on 2 computers at once.

So I agree with Zomby, do not activate it until you have it installed in your new computer for a couple weeks (in case you need to reinstall) - then regardless the license type, no grief.

Mychael said:
It's the same thing though if you had a huge HDD failure
No it isn't. A hard drive failure is a hardware failure. You have not experienced a hardware failure where you were forced to reinstall. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Note that being technically able to do something does not make it legal. Most software will let you install multiple copies - and you can often get away with it. But it could come around to bite you in the a$$ down the road - this is especially significant since there very capable and "free" alternatives to MS products readily available.

yodap said:
MS will not fight you on hardware upgrades.
While they may not, they have every right to, and I assure you, they have. Again, it depends on the type of license you have, so note it carefully. If OEM or an Upgrade, then the OEM MUST remain with the old computer and is NOT transferable to new computer. Furthermore, the EULA makes it clear, an upgraded motherboard consitutes a new computer! For Upgrade versions, the license follows the original license that authorized the upgrade, and it too cannot be carried forward if the original was OEM or an upgrade.

ONLY retail versions of Windows can be carried forward to new computers, but again, only if uninstalled from the old.

Now, if your HD fails or you need a bigger one, you can upgrade it, as long as you don't upgrade the motherboard too. "Upgrade" is the key word. If your motherboard fails, you are authorized to replace it with the same make and model, or a similar board if the old is no longer available. You are not allowed to upgrade your motherboard because that is the heart of a new computer.

Again, Microsoft usually does not force you to buy a new license, but if you have an OEM copy, they have every right to, and sometimes do.

And while it is easy to blame MS for being a PITA on this, I don't. I think their prices are way to high, but that's for another discussion. The problem is illegal copies and pirating of Windows is one the top sources of malware on the Internet. The badguys take advantage of the millions of software thieves (and lets face it, if the prices is too good to be true, you have to know it is illegal, so that makes you a thief) and use their illegal, and typically unpatched Windows to distribute their code. Microsoft, right or wrong, continues to get blamed for unsafe people being threats.

So they have to control piracy even though people are going to complain it is a PITA. But MS, correctly so, now believes it is better to be a PITA, than wrongly accused for security issues it has no control over. .

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Excellent points Digerati!

I always assumed that he had a retail copy, and assumed if he had an OEM it would have come pre-installed in a new computer or as an upgrade if he bought a computer last summer or there about. By assuming these things you know what that makes me.

Thanks for explaining the fine legal points of the OEM license agreement clearly.

Yo

PS I wonder if you would be interested on commenting on the legal ramifications of the Paragon software that I posted about in the software section of the forum? I don't want to high-jack this thread but in a nutshell, it will allow you to create an image of your OS and restore it on completely different hardware. Please comment over there if you like.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Digerati's post brings up some valid points... maybe a little winded, but valid.

I, for one, never had any issues doing an upgrade with an existing OEM license with either the hard drive or the motherboard.

When I decided to upgrade to a new motherboard, I had to call MS Tech Support to validate the OS again. Told them the situation and there were no issues at all.

MS Tech Support is there to help, not act like the "Gestapo" or the "NKVD" !

I have always had nothing but prompt, courteous, and positive assistance from the folks at MS Tech support.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
and assumed if he had an OEM it would have come pre-installed in a new computer
Most are. But home and custom built come with OEM disks too.
... maybe a little winded
:( Speaking of gestapo - is that an example of courteous and positive you were talking about? That was barely a puff to some of my postings. Not sure it your place to police the forums, if I am not mistaken.

I write to ensure clarity. And because of that, I really don't appreciate it when others imply I said something I didn't. I never implied MS was anything but courteous, professional, or less than generous re-authenticating. In fact, I said they usually don't give you any grief. I said you may have to explain your intentions, hardly different from you stating you "told them the situation".

So while you suggest my post was windy, your response to me did not follow the facts. And your 'explaining the situation to MS comment' was redundant. So it seems your whole post was nothing but wind.

PS I wonder if you would be interested on commenting on the legal ramifications of the Paragon software that I posted about in the software section of the forum? I don't want to high-jack this thread but in a nutshell, it will allow you to create an image of your OS and restore it on completely different hardware. Please comment over there if you like.
That's the problem with all backup software - the honor system must apply. I have other chores but will look at that thread when I can.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
:( Speaking of gestapo - is that an example of courteous and positive you were talking about? That was barely a puff to some of my postings. Not sure it your place to police the forums, if I am not mistaken.
No, it's not my place to police the forum. Just my humble opinion. I try to keep things more to the point and succinct.

The "gestapo' comment was in reference to MS not you. Some people are intimidated by MS just because its a big company. It was an attempt on my part to make the OP feel more comfortable regarding his questions, not cast aspersions on you.

So while you suggest my post was windy, your response to me did not follow the facts. And your 'explaining the situation to MS comment' was redundant. So it seems your whole post was nothing but wind.
To be honest, I wasn't responding to your post. I was informing the OP. I am sorry if you're having a bad day... my goodness!

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
To be honest, I wasn't responding to your post. I was informing the OP.
You had already made the point in a previous point you "had no issues at all" in dealing with MS and your response came right on the heels of my post - so I hope you see how that could be seen as a response to me. That said, I was not aware criticising another's posting style is apart of "informing the OP" of anything. I apologize if I missed that too. :( I am new to this forum, but not to forums, so I really don't think I missed a thing.

Sorry for the distraction folks.

Moving on, as mentioned by many, MS is typically very cooperative - and I am certain will be in this case as you are clearly not attempting to use the license illegally.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Digerati, thanks for making the OEM deal clear to everyone. I'm doing some upgrading myself, but not my MOBO. It was once explained to me (by a Microsoft rep) that in the case of an OEM install, the OS lived and died with the computer it was originally installed on. That was her short, but to the point, answer. Your post regarding the OEM install confirms that.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
catilley1092 said:
It was once explained to me (by a Microsoft rep) that in the case of an OEM install, the OS lived and died with the computer it was originally installed on.
That's probably a good way to remember it. Thanks.

Reaction score
Well after all that, the new PC I am building up is all new, MB, drives etc etc. going into the case of my old PC that I thought I would put '7' on for a bit of a play to get the feel for it until I'm ready to make the changeover.
So it wont ever be on two working computers at the same time as only one will be in existence, the HDD drive in my old PC will be too small for what I need so it will get re-formatted and the '7' on it will not be there anymore.
I'm expecting a retail version of '7' to arrive but as I mentioned in another post the seller has been playing funny buggers with the sale. So I'll only know for sure once it arrives.
My personal thought for what it's worth is that an owner has no control over hardware failure so if you had to put in a new drive and MB then it would be unfair for MS to hassle you. Likewise if it's only ever active on one machine in your own household then it should be your right to re-install it if you needed to.
My current XP machine runs on OEM software, it's been rebuilt several times over the yrs, had hassels re-registering but my tame Geek who I get out for curly problems has always been able to sort it for me, but a lot of hassle.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I'm expecting a retail version
Then it is no problem either way but it takes us back to Zomby's post - I would not activate it. I would wait until after the new hardware is totally assembled, Windows installed and the system running well for a couple weeks before activating it - I would then expect it to go through on the first go. I would have to put up with activation notices until then, but for me, that would less annoying than having to deal with what might happen otherwise. If you do activate it, no real problem. But when it notes the new motherboard (which is really many hardware devices in one), and new CPU, RAM, controllers, and graphics card, it is going to choke, and likely to need activation again. Sometimes that's as easy connecting to the Internet and it's done. Or it may ask you to enter a valid Key Code. If it takes your code, no problem, if not, it may instruct you to call a toll-free number to talk to person. With a Retail copy, just explain the facts and it should be no problem - but that's still a runaround I don't mind avoiding.

My personal thought for what it's worth is that an owner has no control over hardware failure so if you had to put in a new drive and MB then it would be unfair for MS to hassle you.
And to the best of my knowledge, if that is the reason, they never have - regardless if Retail or OEM. But if you blow your motherboard, and in the process decide to buy a current motherboard, which then requires a new CPU, different RAM, and new PCIe graphics card since the old board was AGP, then no, you can't do that with an OEM license (or an upgrade from an OEM). You have to buy a new Windows license because you built a new computer.
Likewise if it's only ever active on one machine in your own household then it should be your right to re-install it if you needed to.
And that's the way it is with Retail. But NOT with OEM. That is why OEM is cheaper, so computer (hardware) makers are not spending 1/2 their budget on the OS (software). So as consumers, we are given a choice so I don't think we have any room to complain - except for the price. But having said that, Home Premium is all most home computer users need and I don't think that is unreasonably priced. Folks who need language support must get Ultimate, not sure that's fair, but not my call.

Ummm, have you run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if your XP HW will even run it?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
yodap said:
Do you mean this thread on Adaptive Restore? Not really any thing I can say. You need to view your EULA to see what your license allows you to do. Note that corporate volume licensing is different from normal home uses.

Ask a Question