Reaction score
Hi,

I have on my computer XP pro installed on C:
Then I have a partion E: for the windos 7 beta 1 with 50 Gb

Computer:
Asus p5b deluxe
Intel 2 core 6400
2 GB RAM

I started the computer with the WIndows 7 DVD and the win 7 start to install and extract the files and then restart and the follow error comes:

A disk read error occurred
Press CTRL+Alt+DEl to restart

But I can't do anything, the computer hangs

I must backup the xp, because the boot of xp was overwrite.

Please can you help me, why comes this Error

THANX

looks

Reaction score
Do you have Sata drivers? if so then go to bios main menu, storage config, configure Sata as IDE. save, exit
Try install 7 again

Reaction score
I have 3 HD in raid and can't change it to IDE, because I will lost Data, Partitions and XP on C:
Is this the only possibility to resolve my problem?

Reaction score
I am afried that you have to put the raid driver into usb stick or floppy driver and when windows start booting for installation specially it asks for if you want to install a thrid party drivers then you have to hit F6 and install the driver.
try to install the 7 within the xp. i mean log in in xp and run the DVD, then 7 will copy most drivers from xp first.

Reaction score
I can't install windows 7 within XP, because I want to install win 7 64 Bit and xp is 32bit.

Reaction score
Maybe you need dual boot.
Download the easyBCD from here http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

Put/copy NTLDR, NTDETECT.com & boot.ini on the Vista and the XP partitions then setup dual boot with EasyBCD. Install EasyBCD on XP also and setup dual boot here. Change active partition (boot partition) to XP or Vista.

Reaction score
Sorry I ask a little bit stupid, but I am a newbi....

I don't have vista only XP. From where do I have to copy NTLDR, NTDETECT.com & boot.ini on the XP partition?
When I try to start EasyBCD they will show me this Info:
"this will modify the MBR and requires Vista" this mean, when I start this program it will
change the boot of XP and then I can't start XP. Or is my Idea wrong?

Sorry I am now very confused. I thought the installation of windows 7 is very easy, like Vista (a friend has install on a same computer Vista without problems).

Reaction score
it is easy for people with computer knowledge, like those of us that build computers, it's really simple. too many people are looking at this Beta like some Freebie OS from microsoft when they have no clue what they are doing, then they whine when it doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question