Installing Win7 64 from USB. Current installation Win7 32

Reaction score
Hello

I originally had Win7 64 bit. I'm in the process of restoring my computer after a crash. The computer I bought did not provide me with any recovery discs. I've had to install Windows XP from an old disc and I've got just back to Windows 7 now.

What set me back after I got XP working was that any time I tried to boot the 64 bit .iso from a USB, I got a Disk Read Error and was told to hold CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart. This has prevented me from installing Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I used virtual clonedrive on 32 bit XP to install 32 bit Win7 and it works. Now I'm trying to get back to the 64 bit version but I'm encountering the same issues.

I've tried using the official Windows tool and guides similar to this one: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1031/4/

Everything progresses smoothly until the actual boot, when it sends me off with the disk read error described above. My motherboard is a MCP61PM-HM (Nettle3) and my bios Phoenix AwardBIOS v6.00PG

• Currently on Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
  • Attempting to boot from an Windows 7 64 bit iso on a bootable USB drive yields Disk Read Error

Please read above before replying. I'm grateful for any help but I've already sorted through enough threads on various websites to no effect.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There is no way to go from W7 32bit to W7 64bit except with a fresh install.

If there is a disk read error then it sounds like your 64-bit copy is corrupt. I suggest you download it again from the links HERE and then use the Microsoft USB/DVD Download tool to create a bootable 64-bit W7.

Then format your hard drive and install W7 64-bit. If you have an upgrade license key then you may have to do a double install to get it to activate (which simply means you install W7 64-bit a second time from the flash drive)

Ask a Question