Re-installing WIN7

Reaction score
As I'll have my new copy of Ultimate here long before I get everything together I thought I might install it as a 2nd OS on my existing system. I've got a spare 32gig Sata drive in the case that's not getting any use.

So if I install it and activate it will Microsoft give me grief when I later install it onto my brand new system?

How can I work around this? Putting it on now will give me a safe way to get familiar with using it.

Mychael

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
How long before you get your new rig?. You have 30 day grace period before you activate it. Is your first OS a Non Vista/Win 7? Otherwise there is not much to "get use to".

Reaction score
Yeah be a lot longer then 30days. Currently Running XP Pro.

Reaction score
well, you will only get 30 days trial . I suggest you to make sure that you get your rig in lees than 30 days and then install windows 7 on your new pc and get activation after wards. windows 7 works well in dual boot with windows xp pro .

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Go ahead and install it and get familiar with it. Microsoft will not give you grief, believe me as I have done it in the past.

Windows 7 is "similar" to Vista is many ways, but it is loaded with subtle nuances which some people like and other don't. Lots of tweaks and such too.

Install it, play with it, get used to it, have fun with it. M$ WON'T have issues!!

Reaction score
Actually Windows 7 is improved Windows Vista. I can say so as i have used thae Alpha versions of windows 7 , i think the older build 6800-6900 or so. Mostly at that time it used to say "Loading windows Vista " at many stages :p instead of windows 7 .Windows 7 is customized vista with all its crap cut out and hardware and driver support improved and they made it to work at low power PCs as well .

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
It's because M$ re-wrote the kernels in the basic OS, that's why.

To me it's far, far superior to Vista.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Go ahead and install it and get familiar with it. Microsoft will not give you grief, believe me as I have done it in the past.

Windows 7 is "similar" to Vista is many ways, but it is loaded with subtle nuances which some people like and other don't. Lots of tweaks and such too.

Install it, play with it, get used to it, have fun with it. M$ WON'T have issues!!
Agree 100%.

The OP says he runs XP so by all means give it a go. MS will not fight you on hardware upgrades.

Reaction score
Sorry, maybe did not make myself clear. If I activate now on my old computer, then when my new rig is finished and I install it on that wont it Tell me that product key has already been used?
It's the same thing though if you had a huge HDD failure and had to re-install again in a new HDD there must be a way to be able to re-install your purchased software.It wont be like I'll have it concurrently on two machines as the old rig will have to cease to exist to allow the new one to be built.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Don't worry... you'll be fine! The only way it might have been an issue is if you were using the OEM version of Windows 7. It records the motherboard and hard drive serials.

Since you won't be using the old system when you install on the new build you'll be okay.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
It wont be like I'll have it concurrently on two machines as the old rig will have to cease to exist to allow the new one to be built.
You just explained it to yourself. :)

One copy of OS on one computer, is all good.

Reaction score
Cool, thanks guys.
I was a little nervous as I'd had expereince with re-installing XP and got re-registration issues but having said that it was with keeping the same M/B and HDD.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You'll be fine, the only time you run into problems with re-installs is when the MOBO has been changed. A dude once asked me to reinstall XP Pro for him (I have a Dell disc for this purpose), he didn't tell me that his MOBO had cracked and that he swapped one from a junk laptop. Well, upon updating, during the second round of updates (the tool d/loads first, the "checker" d/loads second), when the checker did it's job, he was left with a black screen. I told him, why did you allow the "checker" to d/load for? It was voluntary. He thought it would be no problem. I told him to call Microsoft, he did the next day, and things were made right. But anyone who has done any reinstalling and researched the subject should know, if you swap your MOBO, you'll run into a snag. I've also read recently that if you replace two or more major parts at the same time (RAM & hard drive), you may have problems, but haven't heard of anyone having them. I've already upgraded my RAM on my desktop, and now considering upgrading my hard drive. But it may be a month or two before I do it. I hope it doesn't cause me any problems.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Since installing Win 7 64bit, I've doubled my Ram (2gig to 4 gig) and just last week purchased a 500gig Western Digital Caviar Hard Drive and had zero issues in regards to activation or Microsoft complaining about system changes.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks for that info, draceena. I've already increased my RAM, and currently looking at my choices for a replacement internal hard drive, Currently, I have a 320GB SATA installed, but with the low prices these days, I want at least a 750GB one. The one installed is made by WD, they ought to be able to matchup a good one for me. I don't want an elcheapo one, either. I just have to shop and get advice.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
catilley1092 - I like Samsung and Western Digital hard drives. I'm sure your desktop tower has enough space and SATA ports on the motherboard to add an extra drive.

Use BOTH hard drives. One for the OS and other stuff, the second drive for storage and such. That's what I do. 1 - 500 GB Samsung SATA for OS and such. 1 - 80 GB SATA for Paging File, Temp Files, and OS Backup.

Plus for external storage I have 1 - 120 GB 2.5" USB Portable Drive, 1 - 160 GB 3.5" USB Desktop external drive and 1 - 500 GB 3.5" eSATA Desktop external drive.

I need lots of storage!

Reaction score
you can activate it on ur old rig then when you get ur new one and go to activate microsoft will ask you if its been uninstalled off ur old machine, personally i take the safe option and activate over the phone :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
catilley1092 - I like Samsung and Western Digital hard drives. I'm sure your desktop tower has enough space and SATA ports on the motherboard to add an extra drive.

Use BOTH hard drives. One for the OS and other stuff, the second drive for storage and such. That's what I do. 1 - 500 GB Samsung SATA for OS and such. 1 - 80 GB SATA for Paging File, Temp Files, and OS Backup.

Plus for external storage I have 1 - 120 GB 2.5" USB Portable Drive, 1 - 160 GB 3.5" USB Desktop external drive and 1 - 500 GB 3.5" eSATA Desktop external drive.

I need lots of storage!
Nibiru, I see what you mean, having two internal drives. But I don't have a tower. My desktop is an all-in-one model (HP MS214). The screen, optical and hard drive are all in one piece. It sits on a swivel bracket. The only cables are my mouse, keyboard, and power. Really, the unit isn't an inch thicker than my laptop is. If there are ports, they are hidden inside, I have six USB ports and a slot for one of those digital camera cards. I see the hard drive cover, it's right below the DVD player. Mabye you have a cat in the bag to pull out, it's going to take it to install dual internal drives in this unit. What I had in mind is replacing my stock one with a larger one, then creating a second backup drive with the stock one. I do know that I need more internal space to do what I want to do. I would like at least 500GB for Windows, and 200GB for Linux. That would put me at needing a 750GB drive. And I'd like one of those that runs at least @7200 rpm's. Any suggestions on a high quality WD drive that meets these specs?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Any suggestions on a high quality WD drive that meets these specs?
Yup... check this one out! It's from Newegg! Bare drive... you would need to get a SATA cable, if you don't have one. No fancy retail box, just the drive.

Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
  • 750GB
  • 7200 RPM 32MB Cache
  • SATA 3.0Gb/s

• Cache: 32MB
  • Features: High Performance Electronics Architecture Dual processor - Twice the processing power to maximize performance. 32 MB cache - Bigger, faster cache means faster performance. Rock Solid Mechanical Architecture StableTrac - The motor shaft is secured at both ends to reduce system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking, during read and write operations. NoTouch
  • Parts: 5 years limited
  • Labor: 5 years limited
  • Model #: WD7501AALS
  • Item #: N82E16822136283
  • Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

• $79.99
  • Free Shipping!

Image Viewer

Ask a Question