Question about Middle Click taskbar

Reaction score
I'm dual booting with XP and 7RC1. With XP I use a program called TaskbarShuffle. It allows me to middle click on a program running in the taskbar to close the program.

In Win7, middle clicking opens a copy of the same program and TaskbarShuffle doesn't work with Win7 yet. Is there any way to change the middle mouse button's behavior through the registry or does anybody know of another program that will do it?

This is the only reason RC1 is not my only operating system. Please help.

Thank you.

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You should be able to change the mouse button assignments through the mouse applet in Control Panel and/or in the software that came with the mouse. I am on a laptop with a touchpad, so I cannot confirm if Win7 has the ability to do this by default.
What make of mouse is it? Microsoft, Logitech, etc?

Reaction score
It is a cheap A4 Tech 5 button 2 scroll mouse. The thing is, I want to mouse to act exactly as it does for all programs, but just effect the taskbar different. I'll have a look at your two ideas, if I can even find software for it, and report back.

EDIT: ok that didn't take long. Their software allows me to set the middle button to "Close Application", but it only closes the application that is under the mouse pointer. If I click on the application on the taskbar, it tries shutting down my computer instead of closing the application. So, no dice.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That program looked so promising.

I set Middle Mouse to Close Program, which would attempt to close Explorer instead of the program I have my mouse over on the taskbar.

I tried to set it to Right Click then press "C" and it worked, but only if i clicked on the taskbar with my Left Mouse to make it the active program first. It also would steal the mouse for about a second before it would close.

Sadly, this is definitely not the solution, but at least it was fun to mess with.

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You may need to go with a premium mouse with better button-mapping software to get what you want, or wait for a Win7 version of TaskBarShuffle...

Reaction score
A premium mouse would make no difference since the software would not detect the position of the mouse over the taskbar.

I've tried a few other pieces of software that are almost identical to TaskbarShuffle and they do not work at all either. So, it is looking like I'm just going to have to quit being impatient and deal with it until after Win7 RTM.

EDIT: Sorry.. thank you for you help.

Reaction score
Its interesting that you posted that. I'm JuniorAndTorrie on his forum. The poster of the thread. lolz

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Its interesting that you posted that. I'm JuniorAndTorrie on his forum. The poster of the thread. lolz
I wondered if that might have been the case before I posted it :lol: If I see anything else that can do the job, I'll post back here :)

Ask a Question