Win XP Pro Question

Reaction score
I know this is a Win7 forum and it has to do with that...as well as a Win XP Pro connection.

A friend wants me to format his computer and install a clean OS. I haven't gotten to check his computer for what exactly he has on it, but believe he has Win7 Home Premium. He does not have a disk for his x64 system.

My new computer has Win7 , but is x86. I still have my legit XP Pro x86 disk and was wondering if I can install XP Pro x86 on a x64 system and have not problems...especially with drivers?

read someone say they did on a dual boot computer setup.

I really do not want to format and find I have problems in any manner and be stuck.

Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Drivers are always a concern on any installation. You should visit the manufactures website (of the computer if pre-built or of the motherboard/graphics card/ethernet card/wireless card/etc if assembled) and verify they have drivers for the version x86 or x64 & the OS XP or W7 that you are installing ... if not then I would not attempt to install that OS or bit-size.

As long as he has a valid license you should be able to back it up. And if you can back it up then I would find the same version OS & bit-size DVD, reinstall & reactivate the license, rather than consider a different OS, especially older

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Think the driver thing is making XP Pro look a bit less attractive.

I am checking with friends for a disk of the exact OS he has. They upgrade their computers regularly and may have an unused disk for him.

Hopefully I can check his computer soon and see exactly what he has on it and go from there.

Appreciations*

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You don't need an unused disk, the DVDs can be used thousands of times. What you need is an unused license/product key or the original key he was using, to reactivate.

Reaction score
Yes on disk, but I need the OS to do the install. I can get his serial with keyfinder...so that is not the problem.

I read that his serial will not work for other builds of Win7 (assuming that is true?)

I know a person with Win7 Ultimate and could use his disk for the install and then his key to activate it, but was told Ultimate requires an Ultimate serial. I also have my personal Win7 Home Premium, but guessing he cannot use it with his serial.

I certainly cannot use mine...lol

Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The most important thing is the Bit-size 32 or 64, make sure you have one that matches what he needs.

If you can convert either DVD to an ISO image, you can then edit the image & delete ei.cfg from the SOURCES folder & it becomes an "any version" DVD of that bit-size. Then burn it to DVD. When you install it gives you a menu, simply choose the version that matches his license.

See thread about it HERE.

Reaction score
Thanks for that info and the link info. I do not use Power ISO, but may know someone who can do it for me with their x-64 disk. That is very interesting about how to get a 4 versions choice. That may be the best alternative. Can get his valid serial from his OS./..so it will be legal and not be concerned about that aspect.

Very helpful...thanks*

Reaction score
I was doing a general search for a legal source to download Win7 versions (just in case a friend doesn't have ) and found Microsoft has a page to download it. It has a system serial key slot to enter your key and it seems you can download it from there. Haven't gotten his key yet and therefore did not proceed to see what it entailed.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Reaction score
Followup...was curious what would happen at that MS website and used my key to test it. Got a message that the key appears to be from a computer maker installation and to contact them....so apparently you need to have installed by a disk you bought to install and not an OS installed by manufacturer.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
That is correct, Microsoft will not accept an OEM license to download a copy of Win7..

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Also, PowerISO the free version won't work anyway - it has a size limit to force you to buy it. But there are alternatives that should work.

Ask a Question