SOLVED Permissions question

Reaction score
I have a two-computer home network, both computers with Win 7 Pro 64-bit. I recently went into the security permissions settings on one of my computers' C drive (via the security tab: properties/security/edit/add/advanced/find now ) and added "everyone" (because of a suggestion I found online).

On another forum, someone told me this has in some way irreparably damaged the C drive (because it was done at the "root") and will need a reinstall. Is this true? And if so, please help me understand why? (I know very little re: networks). Nothing has changed on the computer except this permission change. The person on the other forum said that the system files on the C drive were somehow in danger or had been damaged or would be damaged. But even with "everyone" chosen on the C drive, I am still not able to access the Windows folder via the network. I am told I need more permissions. So doesn't this mean that the system files are safe and unchanged?

And am i not able to go back in and just remove "everyone" from the list without causing any damage? Thank you for any help you can give me. This has really got me worried.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Permissions are quite complicated & I don't feel I know them enough to give you a definite answer. My best guess as to why it might be a bad thing is that if "everyone" has access to all your folders then your security may be compromised. If "everyone" can write to places like the root or system folders it may be that much easier for bad programs to write things that affect the way your computer boots or functions.

The saying "a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing" applies to permissions; unless you know exactly what changing the permissions will do it probably is not a good idea to change them.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your response -- I really appreciate it!

Aren't all the system folders in the Windows folder on the C drive? I just checked and the Windows folder permissions were not changed (The sharing tab lists it as "not shared" and the security tab does not have "everyone" listed in the list of those who have permission) -- and as I mentioned above, when I try to access this folder via the network, I am told I need more permissions. The same goes for the Program Files folder, the PerfLogs folder and the ProgramData folders Doesn't this mean they are still OK?

Ask a Question