Question on opening multiple web pages

SOLVED Discussion in 'Windows 7 Support' started by fdm2000, Mar 21, 2018.

1. fdm2000

fdm2000

Until recently I have been able to open more than one web page, i.e., with one web page open I click on a link in my email or other source and the link fails to open. I don't recall having the issue in the past. Have I inadvertently changed a configuration setting? Is there a way to rectify this?

TX
    Frank

fdm2000, Mar 21, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. fdm2000

TrainableMan ^ The World's First ^ Moderator

Go to Internet Options. On the "General" Tab in the middle of the page click the "TABS" button. Check the setting of "open links from other programs in" & make sure it is set for "a new window" or "a new tab".

That is the only thing I can think may be causing it.

NOTE: This would be for Internet explorer. If you use a different default browser then please tell us what you use.

TrainableMan, Mar 27, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. fdm2000

fdm2000

Attached Files:

fdm2000, Mar 27, 2018
  4. fdm2000

Is your email a stand alone program or do you access it via Firefox & log on via a website?. If it is via a website, is it Google, Hotmail, etc? The reason I ask is it is possible your settings in the email may be to disable links.

TrainableMan, Mar 28, 2018
  5. fdm2000

fdm2000

TM I am using a standalone email client-the latest version of Mozilla Thunderbird. Wondering since they are both Mozilla products could there be a setting in TB?

fdm2000, Mar 28, 2018
  6. fdm2000

if it is stand alone then the first thing to check is your file associations. A link works because the file extension such as .html is associated to a program that can process it. Go to Control Panel > Default Programs and make sure Firefox is associated with .htm .html .url etc

TrainableMan, Mar 28, 2018
  7. fdm2000

fdm2000

TM - Checked the file associations in Set Associations and found Firefox associated with these file extensions: FTP,HTTP,HTTPS,.xht,.xhtml,,shtml,.oog, Noticed that .url was associated with Internet Browser - I changed it to Firefox but wonder if it is generic for all browsers. Should I have left it as Internet Browser as I occasionally run Internet Explorer if FF cannot open something.
    Noticed that .mfg,.mht,.mhtml are associated with Internet Explorer - is that correct?

fdm2000, Mar 29, 2018
  8. fdm2000

Basically Firefox would only take over extensions it is designed to support & without plugins it doesn't do .mht or .mhtml (I'm not sure what .mfg is for) so that is fine. As for .url, what matters is which browser YOU want it to open.

I guess the question now is, have your links started working as needed?

If not, then even though you eventually will be triggering Firefox (by association), I still think you should go to Control Panel > Internet Options. On the "General" Tab in the middle of the page click the "TABS" button. Check the setting of "open links from other programs in" & make sure it is set for "a new window" or "a new tab". ... because your computer may still use these settings up until the point it calls Firefox. Any way it's worth a try if it isn't doing what you want.

TrainableMan, Mar 30, 2018
  9. fdm2000

fdm2000

It appears to be working finally and thanks to your patience and input.

fdm2000, Mar 30, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question