Questions on installing an SSD drive

Reaction score
My Dell XPS 8700 running Win 7 Pro is now 5 years old and although HDD health tests report no issues I am concerned about its age and thinking about installing an internal SSD 250GB drive to replace the conventional HDD. I have been looking a the Samsung 850 EVO but several questions arise:
1. my hard drive bays are 3.5 inches and the 850 EVO only comes in 2.5 inch mode. Are there frames to accommodate the bay size difference?

2. My understanding is that one must obtain a special USB 3.0 cable that will allow transfer (cloning) of the onboard HDD contents to the SSD drive. Anyone have recommendations on these cables?

3. I have read that there are problems with Win 7 and the SSD drive install and operation. Has any member experience with the install and use?

4. I have also read that some people keep the old HDD and use it strictly for data storage, photos, etc and use the SSD for the operating system, etc. Would that be workable or recommended?

Any insights and guidance would be appreciated - my computer knowledge level is between beginner and intermediate at age 86.

TIA, Frank

Reaction score
About 5 yrs ago I put an OCZ 250GB SSD and added a new 1TB mechanical HD as well to use for storage of all files and pictures, Video etc, recently the HD went bad so it can happen at anytime.

The following are from information I received from a question I asked on the HP forum I belong to.
Cloning Drive to Drive Software to perform migration/clone to a smaller drive (SSD) has become standard fodder. Such is available on the web.
https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/clone-larger-hdd-to-smaller-ssd.html
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clone-your-pcs-hard-drive-macrium-reflect
https://www.backup-utility.com/clone/clone-large-hdd-to-smaller-ssd-4348.html
1 . My hard drive bays are 3.5 inches and the 850 EVO only comes in 2.5 inch mode. Are there frames to accommodate the bay size difference?

Yes there are adapters, my SSD is mounted in one.

2. My understanding is that one must obtain a special USB 3.0 cable that will allow transfer (cloning) of the onboard HDD contents to the SSD drive. Anyone have recommendations on these cables?

The above links should help you with this.

3. I have read that there are problems with Win 7 and the SSD drive install and operation. Has any member experience with the install and use?

Didn’t have any problems with my Win 7 OSP, worked flawlessly since in stalled.

4. I have also read that some people keep the old HDD and use it strictly for data storage, photos, etc and use the SSD for the operating system, etc. Would that be workable or recommended?

I wouldn’t with an older HD, a bit risky if that is your only backup of important docs or pictures. When I added the SSD I bought a new 1TB HD, if you can I would do so. I have an internal 1TB & and external !TB. Why the redundancy, well that was answered a few weeks ago. My internal HD failed a few weeks ago & if I didn’t have the external I would have lost 28 yrs of pictures, videos and lot of information I had saved for several years. I saved all doc's to the internal and the external I used Win7 backup feature to save another copy of Internal drive.

Reaction score
I didnt copy my Win 7, I reloaded it to my new SSD to start fresh. Cloning may just copy any issues to the new drive. For me I would rather start new if you have the Disc or maybe you can get one from Dell. Dell or maybe an expert on Dell on this forum could help you.

Reaction score
About 5 yrs ago I put an OCZ 250GB SSD and added a new 1TB mechanical HD as well to use for storage of all files and pictures, Video etc, recently the HD went bad so it can happen at anytime.

The following are from information I received from a question I asked on the HP forum I belong to.
Cloning Drive to Drive Software to perform migration/clone to a smaller drive (SSD) has become standard fodder. Such is available on the web.
https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/clone-larger-hdd-to-smaller-ssd.html
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clone-your-pcs-hard-drive-macrium-reflect
https://www.backup-utility.com/clone/clone-large-hdd-to-smaller-ssd-4348.html
1 . My hard drive bays are 3.5 inches and the 850 EVO only comes in 2.5 inch mode. Are there frames to accommodate the bay size difference?

Yes there are adapters, my SSD is mounted in one.

The above links should help you with this.

Didn’t have any problems with my Win 7 OSP, worked flawlessly since in stalled.

I wouldn’t with an older HD, a bit risky if that is your only backup of important docs or pictures. When I added the SSD I bought a new 1TB HD, if you can I would do so. I have an internal 1TB & and external !TB. Why the redundancy, well that was answered a few weeks ago. My internal HD failed a few weeks ago & if I didn’t have the external I would have lost 28 yrs of pictures, videos and lot of information I had saved for several years. I saved all doc's to the internal and the external I used Win7 backup feature to save another copy of Internal drive.
Many thanks for your insights and assistance - most helpful

Frank

Ask a Question