SOLVED Problem with Windows backup and restore

Reaction score
System backup/restore is not functioning - "A volume shadow copy service component encounted an unexpected error". Tried to start volume shadow copy service in services and it tells me it can't find the path, although VSSVC.exe is in system32. The log says the same thing:-

"The Volume Shadow Copy service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified"

Registry error, I assume but I have no idea how to fix it. Grateful for any idea on this.

Reaction score
Darn! Isn't that typical? Spent about 2 hours on this and then sorted it about 10 seconds after posting.

I had used a registry cleaner and suddenly remembered it has a undo feature, that sorted it. I shall be a bit more wary in future but had always found this particular one problem free before.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Warning! Do not use registry cleaners on auto cleanup on Windows 7 without checking!

Just ran again and it was reporting links to system files like lsass.exe as invalid because the files were missing, although those I checked were there. Had I clicked cleanup it would have caused all sorts of problems.

Possibly my error using something I brought over six months ago for a 32 bit Vista machine on a new 64bit Win 7 machine but others may make the same boob.

Ask a Question