Windows 7 backup problems

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Last night, after four attempts at doing so, I finally got my WD external drive to backup. I wanted to create that one first, so that any problems arose, I wouldn't be wasting a bunch of DVD's. Today, I attempted another full backup, using DVD's (Drive E), I inserted the proper type of DVD, it asked me to format the media, which I did, the program started running and when it got to 99%, it just keeps running (the green Aero bar is moving to the right). But the green DVD light at the player isn't blinking now. This is my second attempt at this today. The first time, I let it run six hours before starting over. And another odd thing to me, the DVD was running for a while on both attempts. There is a little over 30GB of data on drive C and being the backup has run to the 99% mark, both times I was not asked to insert another disc. There is no way that a 4.7GB DVD will hold 99% of C drive. And when I clicked to View Details, it is saying Windows Backup is currently in progress, Copying files to E:\ Does anyone know what to do?

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Now, after three hours of sitting there looking at a 99% complete screen, the DVD has been spinning wide open for 10-15 minutes. Does it take that long to backup that way, or should I abort the operation. It shouldn't take that long to write 4.7GB, should it? It's been a while now (45 minutes) and my DVD is still spinning wide open, so I aborted the operation for now.

Last edited:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi catilley

Can you shutdown the anti-virus and anti-spyware etc on the computer, then run backup again.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'll try that tomorrow, I found out that I could create one set of recovery discs, and I'm doing that now. It's taking longer to verify the discs than to write them. I just a few minutes ago found out that I could make these discs. And it only allows you to make one set of them. I'm glad I found it out. They work just like those Dell XP Pro recovery discs. You probably know what I'm talking about.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Yes you can make recovery disks but a backup of how your present system is would be better as the system changes over time (added applications, updates etc) backup hanging at a unfinished % in some cases has been caused by application interference, i cant say this will be a (fix) but its worth looking into :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I have one complete backup that I made on a WD external drive last night. Things didn't go well with the DVD backup, so I read my manual and stumbled across these recovery discs that I'm making. But I'm going to try what you said about disabling my anti virus and spyware scanner, then backup. Sometimes anti virus gets in the way.

Ask a Question