Problem with Windows 7

Reaction score
I installed windows 7 in a different folder and I have XP running on another folder! Now I want to delete Windows 7 from my computer, also I want to remove the start up screen which lets me choose between windows 7 and earlier version of Windows!

Can someone please give me a step by step answer!

Reaction score
Its a bit risky because you installed 2 operating systems on same partition. so maybe you will not be able to start xp later. But reinstalling xp without formating the partition will save your data from getting loose.

To remove the startup screen
1-go to system properties, advanced tab, startuo and recoverey settings, default operating system-choose your win xp. down uncheck the time to display list of operating systems. okay
now restart if you are in win 7 and within the xp desktop point on windows 7 folder and delete it.

Reaction score
You have both installed on a single partition? I will give TWO answers.

The proper answer, format your partition, start from scratch - and do it properly next time, only one OS per partition.

The other answer: Boot into Windows XP, and TRASH the directory where your Windows 7 installation is. Then edit your boot.ini file and remove the option to boot into Windows 7 (a single text line, easy to find). You have to enable viewing hidden files to do this. Also take off read-only on the file temporarily.

I can not be accountable for any data loss you suffer by trying the second option, it SHOULD work, but may not. Use this out of your own free will. You shouldn't have installed a BETA if you didn't understand what you were doing.

Ask a Question