'Power' button not showing in notification area

Reaction score
I am trying to set my computer to shut down to 'Hibernate'. But the 'Power Button' is not visible in the notification area of the taskbar (which is mentioned in my Windows 7 book. I have just installed Windows 7 on my desktop computer after using XP for several years OK. I have been into Control Panel, Power Options and tried various combination of the settings but none have revealed the Power Button or allowed me to Hibernate state. Can anyone explain how I can accomplish what I want to do.?

Reaction score
Are you suggesting that you don't have a Power Button at all?

I have one question for the hibernation issue.
With the system configured to show system hidden files.
Do you have a Hibernation file in C:?
This file should be found next to your Page file and just as large nearly.

There is an article here on turning Hibernation on and off
https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-hibernation-t1611.html

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The "Power button" in Windows 7 is the one shown in my picture. If you click start and then the small arrow beside the "shut down" text, you should see it. But are you saying that the hibernate feature is not in that drop down menu?

View attachment 659

The "Notification area", as you are probably aware, is the area to the extreme right of the taskbar.
If you click the small arrow there, and then "Customise", you will be able to alter the visibility of several items. Power is one of them. But you cannot selelect hibernate through this icon, only through the "Power button".

If the hibernate option is not showing, do this:

1. Open a Command Prompt. (its in the Start menu - you should right click it and "run as Administrator"
2. Type powercfg -h on and press Enter.
You should now be able to set your Power Plan settings to the recommended settings for Hibernate

Last edited:

Ask a Question