Removing all blue "help" buttons from the top right corner of windows

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to remove all the ugly blue "help" buttons from the top right corner of several of the windows throughout the OS, mainly in the control panel items.

I have identified the following files to contain them:

accessibilitycpl.dll
ActionCenterCPL.dll
DiagCpl.dll
fvecpl.dll
PerfCenterCPL.dll
powercpl.dll
sdcpl.dll
SensorsCpl.dll
systemcpl.dll
taskbarcpl.dll
themecpl.dll
usercpl.dll
wucltux.dll

For example, "wucltux.dll" is the windows update window.

Upon viewing the code through a hex editor via "UIFILE\123" for example, I believe that I have narrowed it down to the following:

<if class="cp_help_glyph">
<Button height="18rp" width="18rp" content="icon(99,sysmetric(49),sysmetric(50),library(imageres.dll))" padding="rect(1rp,1rp,1rp,1rp)" cursor="hand" accRole="link" accdefaction="click" tooltip="true"/>
<if keyfocused="true">
<Button contentalign="focusrect"/>
</if>
</if>
<if class="cp_content_pane">
<Element width="600rp" padding="rect(10rp,0rp,10rp,0rp)" background="themeable(dtb(CONTROLPANEL,2,0),window)"/>
</if>
<if class="wuapp_content_pane">
<Element width="600rp" padding="rect(26rp,0rp,26rp,0rp)" background="themeable(dtb(CONTROLPANEL,2,0),window)"/>
</if>
<if class="cp_content_instruction">
<Element contentalign="wrapleft" foreground="gtc(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,5,0,3803)" font="gtf(CONTROLPANELSTYLE, 5, 0)" accessible="true" accRole="statictext"/>
</if>
<if class="cp_content_v_spacer">
<Element height="7rp"/>
</if>
<if class="cp_content_text">
<Element font="gtf(CONTROLPANELSTYLE, 6, 0)" foreground="gtc(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,6,0,3803)" contentalign="wrapleft" accessible="true" accRole="statictext"/>
<PText font="gtf(CONTROLPANELSTYLE, 6, 0)" foreground="gtc(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,6,0,3803)" contentalign="wrapleft" accessible="true" accRole="statictext"/>
</if>
<if class="cp_content_title_text">
<Element font="gtf(CONTROLPANELSTYLE, 19, 0)" foreground="gtc(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,19,0,3803)" contentalign="wrapleft" accessible="true" accRole="statictext"/>
</if>
<if class="cp_help_link">
<Button accessible="true" accRole="link" accdefaction="click" foreground="gtc(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,7,1,3803)" font="gtf(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,7,1)" overhang="false"/>
<Element accessible="true" accRole="link" accdefaction="click" foreground="gtc(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,7,1,3803)" font="gtf(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,7,1)" overhang="false"/>
<if keyfocused="true">
<Button contentalign="wrapleft | focusrect"/>
<Element contentalign="wrapleft | focusrect"/>
</if>
<if enabled="false">
<Button foreground="gtc(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,7,4,3803)" font="gtf(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,7,4)"/>
<Element foreground="gtc(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,7,4,3803)" font="gtf(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,7,4)"/>
</if>
<if mousefocused="true">
<Button cursor="hand" foreground="gtc(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,7,2,3803)" font="gtf(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,7,2)"/>
<Element cursor="hand" foreground="gtc(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,7,2,3803)" font="gtf(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,7,2)"/>

What portions do I have to delete to remove the button while still having the window functional?

Basically, I want to remove the blue buttons without breaking anything.

Deleting the blue question mark icon outright from the "imageres.dll" file causes breakage.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Ask a Question