PC keeps freezing

Reaction score
Whenever I start up my computer, around 5-30 minutes later it freezes completely. Even the mouse and keyboard freeze. The computer does not seem to be overheating.

Graphics: Ndivia 8800
RAM: 8GB
HDD: 60GB
Motherboard: ASUS P5KC

It even freezes in safe mode!

Please help :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi and welcome.

First, I can tell you to visit the Asus page for your motherboard. Download and install the latest ATK0110 Utility, in Utilities section.

This will overwrite an old driver that almost all Asus users have on their systems when seeking help.

Other than that, you could type msinfo32 in the start menu then hit enter. File | save on the screen that opens. Zip the saved file and attach to a post. It will give us detailed info about your drivers, services, running processes as well as a few other important things to look at.

Reaction score
You can boot to safe mode + networking to handle it all. Press f8 while powering on the system until the choice sceen comes up to do so.

Edit: Wow, just saw your edit about safe mode freezing.
For this, I recommend that you go into the bios and set it to be optimized defaults. Then proceed.

Reaction score
My friend Google isn't being very helpful. Can you post me a link to the ATK0110 W7 download? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

Reaction score
Ok. I downloaded and installed it. No changes. It still froze again. I will enclose msinfo32 with my next post.

Thanks

Reaction score
Cool.

Here's what I would do:

Go to start menu | all programs | startup folder.
Delete Driver Updater and Search Protection

------

There is a slightly newer video driver available from NVIDIA to install:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-257.21-whql-driver.html

Current driver in use is from April 23, 2010. This new one in from May 15, 2010.

-------

Your Realtek High Definition Audio driver is old from July 14, 2009. Here is the latest update for it:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

---------

You can visit the Asus site I linked you to, to get the latest Atheros L1 Gigabit Lan driver to install. The one you currently have now is a little older and should be updated. It's from July 14, 2009.

-----------

Your D-Link Airplus G DWL-G510 Wireless PCI adapter driver definitely needs an update. It is currently from November 12, 2006 which is most likely causing issues.

As you can see, there seems to be no newer x64 driver for it. Because of this, I'd have to recommend removing it from the system if all else fails to fix the problem, as a test.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?tab=3&pid=DWL-G510&rev=DWL-G510_revB

If physically removing it fixes the problem, you'll need to purchase a newer wireless card that is compatible with Windows x64.

-------

Since you don't seem to have any antivirus installed, the freezes could be malware related. Please download, install, run then update the definitions in the program called Malwarebytes. Then let it scan your system and remove anything it finds.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

After, I recommend installing MSE for an antivirus.

Reaction score
Ok. Installed all of the new drivers and scanned my computer. 4 viruses were found. I haven't removed the wireless adapter yet. I'm going to restart and hope for the best. Hopefully I will not have to remove the adapter and get a new one.

Thanks

Reaction score
You're welcome. Hopefully not. We shall see though. Please keep us informed! :)

And install MSE to stay protected, heh.

Reaction score
Still no luck. I tried taking the wireless adapter out. It made no difference. On a brighter note however, it does not seem to freeze in safe mode any more. Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Yes. Use KillDisk to low level format the hard drive. Then clean install Windows 7 to it. This is necessary to ensure that the malware you had is removed from the system.

Ask a Question