My PC keeps freezing for no reason after a while.

Reaction score
Hi,

My PC keeps freezing for no reason, my drivers are near enough up to date (I think), I've ran a virus check and nothing, I've updated the bios (using EZ flash) to the latest, yet it keeps freezing. So I was wondering what is wrong with it, one thing though, it isn't in a case as I don't have one for it yet as I just bought it and wanted it all up and running for the case...

I'll attach the sys.nfo file to this thread...

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Welcome to the W7 Forums.

When you say "Freezing" are you able to turn the CAPS Lock off and on by pressing the CAPS lock button on the keyboard?
What about the mouse does it still work?

What programs are running when this happens?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Looking at the System.nfo file you attached there are numerous errors listed at the end of the file. It looks like IE crashed numerous times, FireFox, Steam, uTorrent, Windows Update, and even the BIOS updates crashed, all at some point in the last day. The BIOS update (AFUDOS.exe) crashing is especially scarey because if your BIOS update fails it can leave your computer as an expensive "brick". Are you sure you installed the right BIOS for your computer?

Are you overclocking anything? If so reset to factory defaults.

Installed any new hardware (RAM, etc)? New software?

If none of the above then I would suspect a virus or possibly corrupted system files...
You said you ran a virus check, did you do it in safe mode? I would download several versions of RKILL (included in our Freeware DB), and then reboot into safe mode without network support, run two or 3 of the RKILL versions, then without rebooting run a full scan.

If that doesn't find anything then I would boot from a W7 DVD (or from the restore partition if your computer came with one of those) and try to repair all the system files.

Also, if this is a recent problem you could also try a system restore to a restore point prior to the problems and see if that helps.

Reaction score
AFUDOS crashed only because it is only for Windows Vista, the rest of them I don't know why they crashed, I installed the latest one then updated it through EZ Flash, I only installed Virtual box, Firefox, Steam plus a game, so nothing over the top.

As for the freezing question, I cannot do anything the system just hangs, nothing can be done, I only run Firefox and Virtual Box at the time, but it does it randomly, it even did it when nothing but Firefox was running.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Have you tried replacing/reseating the RAM?

Reaction score
Yes I have tried that, even changing the dram setting in the bios, over and under clocking, I have set the BIOS back to default settings and nothing, Oh, also it does it with uTorrent, I don't know if that would help.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Ok, time to see if we can catch it with Driver Verifier:

(Borrowed from Zigzag3143 posts)
Driver verifier

Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition. Most times it'll crash and it'll tell you what the driver is. But sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you the driver. Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.

So, I'd suggest that you first backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

Then, here's the procedure:

1. Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
  2. Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
  3. Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
  4. Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Special Pool", "Force Pending I/O Requests" and "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
  5. Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
  6. Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
  7. Select "Finish" on the next page.

• Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.
  • Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly.
  • The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out.

If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.

Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by going back in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page, then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.
Please post any crash files.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

It appears that this driver is causing you trouble.

ASACPI.sys Thu May 14 11:25:17 2009
Please try to update it or if that doesn't work, uninstall it.
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx

STACK_COMMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
ASACPI+1257
fffff880`03ff3257 83462001 add dword ptr [rsi+20h],1

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 6

SYMBOL_NAME: ASACPI+1257

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: ASACPI

IMAGE_NAME: ASACPI.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 4a0b72fd

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0xc4_f6_VRF_ASACPI+1257