Call Of Duty 4 Multiplayer Keeps Freezing Up!

Reaction score
hello all, i will try to be as detailed as i can be. first off, my system specs are: intel core 2 duo, 4gb ram, sapphire radeon 4870, seagate 1tb hdd, and windows 7 home premium 64bit.

the problem im having is that very sporadically when im playing call of duty 4 multiplayer (i use steam by the way) on any server i connect to it freezes up and loops this annoying audio noise and the only way i can escape it is if i hold in my power button to restart the computer. im starting to think it has something to do with windows 7 64bit and ill tell you why. i had vista home premium 32 bit and i was able to play cod4 for hours without any problems. the problems only seemed to happened when i switched to windows 7 64bit. i doubt its my hardware fault because right after i installed windows 7 64bit i had the problems so unless my hardware went bad after a few hours we can cross out a hardware problem. i recently cleaned all the dust out of my computer and all the fans are functioning so i doubt its a cooling problem. i have reinstalled the OS and steam multiple times and i still have the problem. it is starting to drive me crazy. to better visualize the problem the following link roughly shows the same problem i have [ame="[MEDIA=youtube]h-msujgDmsU[/MEDIA]"]
over the next few days im going to reinstall the OS again without any of the recent updates to see if one of the updates could have been it. any other ideas on what the problem could be ?? (looking at other forums alot of people have this problem but no one has come up with real answer)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :). That does look like a full hang, but there are a few things you could try and see if that helps:
  • Are you overclocking at all? If so, try going back to stock speeds.
  • Do you have the temps of your CPU and GPU under load?
  • Can you manually update your graphics and audio drivers to the latest versions. If you're not sure where to do this, I can find the links for you if you let me know your motherboard/sound card.
  • Can you try a memory test to see if that is the problem (http://www.memtest.org/) - as you've got 4GB this may have been passed over in W7 32-bit.
  • Does anything show in event viewer at the time of the crash?

Reaction score
Fix For Freezup

I was having this same problem and fixed it by updating my punkbuster files. Google Punkbuster and go to their website to download the update utility.

Hope that does the trick for you!

C

Reaction score
I have exactly this problem, I have also tried everything and the problem still happens. I don't have the temps of CPU and GPU under load. All my drivers are up to date and my memory is OK. And after rebooting windows nothing appears.

Reaction score
I was having this same problem and fixed it by updating my punkbuster files. Google Punkbuster and go to their website to download the update utility.

Hope that does the trick for you!

C
Go into your Call of Duty 4 directory. It is likely at the following path:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty 4\PB
Run the program pbsvc.exe from this path and let it do its configuration mojo. It takes a few minutes.
Download a new version (3.4) of pbsetup.exe from the Punkbuster web site.
Run the new Punkbuster setup, click “Add Game,” and select Call of Duty 4.
Now click “Check for Updates.” It should download new Punkbuster files for CoD4.
Congrats, your Call of Duty 4 multiplayer should now be fixed.
also try to see if it might be a direct-x problem..run dxdiag and check the card thru all the tests and see if it has any issues.

Also try disabling your antivirus while gaming and any un-needed processes thru the task manager or create a selective startup and diasable all the un-neccesary stuff thru msconfig and reboot and then try the game.

Last edited:

Ask a Question