Computer Keeps Freezing a few mins after i open any program or just leave the computer idle.

Reaction score
Please help anytime i try to open a program or the internet it works for a bit then will just freeze up, but it doesn't complete freeze i can still use my mouse and hover over things and they will become highlighted as if i was about to click on it but if i double click of launch the program it just seizes up and the computer freezes and i have to restart. Ive tried system restore, Factory reset, and Deep virus scans but nothing. This began happening when i installed The Witcher Enhanced edition, ive uninstalled the game and deleted all trace of it but its still happening. pls assist me. also even if i i have a program already running it will freeze at some point guaranteed, for example i was watching Twitch.tv today and it would just freeze in the middle of a game id restart start watching again and it would freeze as soon as i open chrome then again i restarted open twitch and it dident freeze for a a good 40mins idk what to do anymore.

Shintaro

Reaction score
After you try Clifford_Cooley's suggestion.

I know you said that you did a deep virus scan but did you you take the disk offline when you scanned it? If windows was still running then a virus/malware can hide.

I would suggest the following:
[*]Please download and run Windows Defender Offline.
  1. Click "Next"
  2. Click "I Accept"
  3. Select Either: (Typically it is either CD/DVD or USB)
    • CD or DVD
    • USB
    • ISO file
  4. Cllick "Next"
  5. It will create a CD / DVD / USB and will boot and scan your hard drive offline.

Then boot in to Safe Mode and try uninstalling Witcher.

Reaction score
Yes, i tried to restore to a day before the witcher when there was a windows update, that still didn't work. Im gonna try Shintaro's Suggestion and get back to you guys. Ty.

Reaction score
Also the witcher is already uninstalled and deleted all the files in Program files and such

Shintaro

Reaction score
When you say tht you did a Deep virus scan what did you use?
Did you use the following:

1. Download and run TDSSKiller.
    1. Accept the "End User License Agreement"
    2. Accept the "KSN Statement"
    3. Select "Change Parameters" and Select:
      • Verify file digital signatures
      • Detect TDLFS file system
      • Use KSN to scan objects
    4. When the scan is complete the log file is in C:\ It will have a name like "TDSSKiller.3.0.0.34_04.05.2014_08.05.16_log.txt"
  2. Install Malwarebytes (Free Version)
    1. Select "Threat Scan"
    2. When it is completed, please upload the log file from: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\Logs

If you already have then please let us know.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Also please do the following:

Open a command prompt as Administrator and type in the following:

Code:
chkdsk /f /r
You will need to restart your computer, but it will check your hard disk for problems.

Reaction score
Could have been a coincidence and not related to the Witcher installation. Might be your PC components need to be reseated. There have been numerous times in the past, I have found this to be the issue.

I'll give a simple example. (extreme example but still relevant)
How many times have you had automobile battery troubles? Trouble that was fixed by working on or replacing the battery terminal connector. A PC has hundreds of connectors, all of which could cause numerous problems. We would be naive in thinking all our problems was bad software related.

Personal note:
I just recently solved a related issue (complete system freeze) by replacing several components in my PC. When I was done, I had enough components on the shelf to warrant another PC build. What a nightmare! At least now I know the problematic component was the RAM modules.

Reaction score
ok ill do those things, thats what i was thinking because i had a day or so of being able to play the witcher just fine. but yeah it could just be hardware my laptop is getting 2year + mark

Reaction score
when i try command prompt command i get Access denied as you do not have sufficient privileges, you have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Click on the Start Button.
Type in cmd (windows will find cmd.exe)
Right click on cmd.exe (It maybe just cmd) and select "Run as Administrator"
Now type in the following:
Code:
chkdsk /f /r
Reboot

Did you download and install Malwarebytes and run it from Safe Mode?

Reaction score
Click on the Start Button.
Type in cmd (windows will find cmd.exe)
Right click on cmd.exe (It maybe just cmd) and select "Run as Administrator"
Now type in the following:
Code:
chkdsk /f /r
Reboot

Did you download and install Malwarebytes and run it from Safe Mode?
I for got to mention i entered the command in safe mode and it worked, the disk check was takeing forever and it was like 5 in the morning so i went to sleept left it going and woke up about hr later and turned it off when it was done, and yes i ran malwarebytes in safe mode and it said all good. another thing is my computer cant shut down normally it just stay on the shutting down screen. it works sometimes.

Shintaro

Reaction score
There are a couple way of attacking this problem. Let's try the easy way first.

Please download Autoruns from Sysinternals HERE.
Extract Autoruns.exe from the zip and run it.
When it has finished (you can not see any more hour glass icons)
File -> Save (give it some name like mypc) It has to be an Autoruns Data file (.arn).
Put that file in a zip file and upload it to the forum.

I will try and find the processes that a problem,

Reaction score
There are a couple way of attacking this problem. Let's try the easy way first.

Please download Autoruns from Sysinternals HERE.
Extract Autoruns.exe from the zip and run it.
When it has finished (you can not see any more hour glass icons)
File -> Save (give it some name like mypc) It has to be an Autoruns Data file (.arn).
Put that file in a zip file and upload it to the forum.

I will try and find the processes that a problem,[/QUOTE

Here you go, ty for all your help i appreciate it.

Attachments

Ask a Question