No Drives Were Found. Click Load Driver....

Reaction score
Good news-Bad news
The W7 installation accepted that driver.
It asked me which partition I wanted to install W7 on.
It said the first partition of 1.5gb was reserved for OEM and couldn't be used.
So I was about to chose the second partition when the system crashed with the normal error.
AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Does this establish it as a harddrive error, even though the harddrive passed several different diagnostics?

Another issue...
The 3rd partition was 11gb and called a Harddrive recover partition. Would that be Toshiba's recovery partition, which I am supposed to have but don't seem to, or something else. It is the first time I have seen it anywhere.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
3rd partition: Recovery, yes most likely it was something Toshiba put there.

But your BSODs need dealt with. I'm not sure what all you tried other than a virus scan.

How old is the computer? Are the BSODs a new thing or has it always had issues? Was it dropped? If it worked fine for years and nothing was changed then I suspect the hard drive needs replaced. But without more details that is simply a hunch based on the DMPs pointing to IASTOR and the install bombing right after access to the hard drive was possible with the right drivers.

Reaction score
The computer is 2 years old. The BSOD started about 6 weeks ago. It wasn't dropped and nothing was changed.
I ran several disk and memory diagnostics without finding anything.
I ran several virus products without finding anything.
Although I have the latest Toshiba RAID drivers, I installed more recent Intel RAID drives. It still crashes with the same frequency, but now says iastora.sys instead of iastor.sys. Reinstalling the Toshiba drivers changes back to iastora.sys.

In earlier posts I posted a uploaded a dump file and the CPU-Z file (called Jared.txt)

I tried to do a system recovery by booting while holding down "0". When I instruct it to do a system recovery, it crashes with the same old error.
I created a W7 install usb. At first it said that drivers were not available. I copied the RAID drives to the USB and it ran for a few minutes before crashing with the same old error.

All I can think to do now is format the drive (though I am not quite sure how to do that) and then attempt to use the W7 install usb. Probably won't work, but it can't make it any deader.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If nothing has changed and it worked fine for 22+ months then my first suspicion is a failing hard drive.

But Shintaro is our BSOD expert so I would like to hear his ideas on this. Maybe he has more things you could try.

Also be sure to zip and post the latest DMPs.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Ok, the only memory tester that we trust is MemTest86. There is a article HERE that explains its use. It should be run for no less that 8 passes. So over night is the best option.

But in the mean time please enable Driver Verifier. If it crashes every 15 minutes, that's good. We will have crash dump files quickly then.

Driver verifier

The Driver Verifier tool that is included in every version of Windows since Windows 2000 it is used to detect and troubleshoot many driver issues that are known to cause system corruption, failures, or other unpredictable behavior.

***FIRST: Please backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise.
Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Windows 7 Startup Repair feature.)
  1. Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
  2. Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
  3. Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
  4. Select:
    ---- Special Pool
    ---- Pool Tracking
    ---- Force IRQL Checking
    ----Deadlock Detection
    ---- Security Checks (Windows 7 & 8)
    ---- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)
    ---- Miscellaneous Checks
  5. Click "Next"
  6. Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
  7. Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
  8. Select "Finish" on the next page.
Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.
Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly.
The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out.

How Long should I wait for a crash?

- If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.

How do I turn Driver Verifier off?!

- Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by going back in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page.

- Or press the Windows Key + R, and type in "verifier /reset" (Without the quotes)

- Then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post. then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.

I can't get in to Windows, what do I do?

- If Windows will not start and get to a login screen or desktop, because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.

- If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

How do I put the crash dump files in a Zip file?

Instructions on putting files in a Zip file and extracting (Taking them out) again are explained HERE.

Reaction score
I ran MemTest86 overnight a week or two ago, without any errors. It is my son's computer; his roommate thought it was a memory problem so he changed out the memory without any change to the error, so it isn't memory.

I ran the verify. The file you want is from the minidump folder, right?
It is attached; took about 10 minutes to crash.

One interesting thing is that it will run MemTest86, Windows updates, or some disk diagnostics indefinitely, but will crash in 15 doing nothing. That ought to mean something.

Attachments

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply.

Just to let you know, I have your crash dump file. However your crash will require a bit more investigation.
I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Shintaro

Reaction score
One interesting thing is that it will run MemTest86, Windows updates, or some disk diagnostics indefinitely, but will crash in 15 doing nothing.
Can you make sure that the Sleep/Hibernate setting are off. HERE is a article. See if it still crashes after 15 minutes.

One problem is that you have a SSHD (Hybrid ) drive, so finding a testing tool is difficult.
Maybe THIS software from Intel might give more information So please download and install it and see if it gives a model number or series that might help. Because "Intel 62ET5921R33G36XY" doesn't seem to mean anything.

The other problem is according to the Toshiba website for your laptop, HERE, the current version of BIOS is 6.20 and you have the initial release version 1.00 from June 2012. But lets wait to see what you find from the Hibernate settings and the Intel software.

Reaction score
I turned off hibernate, but it still crashes the same. Of course, I neglected to see if hibernate was even on first.

The Intel software says nothing at all about the SSD. It says I have a Hitachi HTS545050A7E380 which is a 500gb drive; not a hybrid which everything else says I have.

If it crashes during a BIOS update, then it is stone dead, isn't it? Though at this point I am not sure it matters.

Googling I found a recommendation to run:
Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
Bootrec.exe /FixBoot

Two people say it fixed their systems. Any point to trying that?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
ACPI is a common update to the BIOS so I think Shintaro has a good idea to turn off everything affected by sleep/hybernate and see if your system is then stable.

In your Advanced Power Options you should set Hard Disk > Turn off > Never as well as all the items under Sleep: Sleep after > Never, Allow hybrid sleep > Off, & Hibernate after > Never.

Shintaro

Reaction score
First MBR = Master Boot Record. That is used if you cannot boot at all.
But your problem is that the computer runs for a while then, Bug's out with a crash.

So, Hitachi HTS545050A7E380 makes sense!

However there is a problem, you don't have a CDROM.
I'm just testing a way to get the ISO on to a USB.

I'll respond soon.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Won't the Microsoft USB/DVD Download Tool write any ISO to a flash drive?

Reaction score
I got the ISO on a USB. First I had a problem that it said I was missing a driver, but someone told me where to find a driver to put on the USB. That worked, but it crashed during the install. See my post #21 above.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Trainableman,

Nah, I hoped that it might. But being MS it probably only does their ISO's.

I was just trying Hitachi's repair utility now. It didn't want to see my Hitachi drive.

Toller,

Please download the Windows Version, WinDFT, from HERE and give it a try.

If it doesn't see your drive, the next step is to try the BIOS.
Yes the BIOS update can Brick you computer. But it is a last resort.

Let us know how you go.

Reaction score
The Hitachi program didn't see my drive.

Is replacing the drive and loading the Windows ISO something to try before the Bios update?
If it doesn't work it is $50 wasted, but if the Bios update doesn't work I have nothing.

My son had a Toshiba laptop and broke the screen 3 twice; so i gave him this one. When that failed I gave him back the first one and he broke the screen again. Sadly, the first HD is 9.5mm and the second 7mm, so I can't even combine them.
China is buying 5 nuclear reactors from Toshiba. God help them.

Reaction score
Googling more or less at random, I found this on the drive:
Hitachi HTS545050A7E380, 500 GB, 5 400 RPM
(SATA 3,0 Gbps, 2,5"-SATA, 7 millimeter)
Sandisk SD5SF2032G1010E, 32 GB
(SATA 6,0 Gbps, 2,5"-SATA, mSATA?)

Also, I have a 500gb drive out of a Dell W8 notebook left over from when I put a SSD in. Just for fun I tried booting off it. No luck.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What do you mean $50 wasted? You do not need to pay $50 for a BIOS update. In fact I'm quite sure nothing suggested here had any cost at all (sometimes there are extra scanners etc on a website that may incur a fee but we are not recommending that stuff).

Normally if we mention anything that costs money we specifically say it is paid software. Please do not pay out any money. Take screenshots and post them so we know where you are and can direct you as to the right FREE thing to download.

Shintaro

Reaction score
If you have the Toshiba utilities installed, please do the following:

Your User Guide is HERE. Look at chapter 5.

1/ Toshiba HWSetup, please get a screen shot of the SATA Tab
2/ Toshiba Sleep utility un-tick both "Enable Sleep and Charge" and "Enable under Battery mode".
3/ TOSHIBA eco Utility, make sure that it is OFF

Reaction score
If you have the Toshiba utilities installed, please do the following:

Your User Guide is HERE. Look at chapter 5.

1/ Toshiba HWSetup, please get a screen shot of the SATA Tab
2/ Toshiba Sleep utility un-tick both "Enable Sleep and Charge" and "Enable under Battery mode".
3/ TOSHIBA eco Utility, make sure that it is OFF

I don't have HWSetup. I loaded it from the Toshiba website and it gave me a BSOD saying Bad_Pool_Caller, Q10mem.sys.
I deleted it and tried again,getting the same error message.
The dump file is attached.

There are however two new developments
1) Instead of a BSOD, it is now just freezing forever. That isn't an improvement.
2) A bit after booting it says "There was a problem starting c:\users\suanne\appdata\local\playton1...\updater.dll"

As I see it (and I hope I am wrong) my two choices are to try a bios update and a new harddrive. That might help, but if it crashes during the update, I can throw it out. (how long does a bios update take?)
A new harddrive will cost $50 and might not help.
Both seem like bad choices. Any advice?

I was hoping to pull the drive out of the laptop with the broken screen, but it is too big.

Attachments

Ask a Question