No Drives were found!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am doing a clean install of Windows 7 and once it reaches the screen where it asks "Where do you want to install Windows?" I get the message that "No drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation." There are no drives listed at all. When I check in BIOS, the 320G, brand new Sata drive that is installed does not show up there either. Help?!?

The MB is an Asus A8N Sli Deluxe, with an AMD x64 processor. I did the same clean install on a new build on the system I'm typing this on last night and had no problems, although it is a different MB and CPU. All new stuff, new drives, etc. Any answers? Thanks.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :)

If the drive doesn't show up in the BIOS, then your problem resides much deeper than Windows 7.

Can you try physically re-connecting the drive, as if it doesn't show in the BIOS there must be a problem somewhere. It could be a loose connection, faulty cable, faulty drive or bad SATA header.

Reaction score
Is this a SATA machine? If so go to BIOS and make sure that the drives are enabled.

Reaction score
the problem is MUCH deeper, to be sure.

I ended up taking the sata drive back, as it worked fine in the other rig i have and they exchanged it for me. the sata ports on the mb are apparently bad. but it goes further...
even with an IDE drive connected i am getting constant BSOD's, random shutdowns, errors that i cannot find any pertinent info for online, BSOD and shutdown anytime i try to run repair off of install disk... etc. etc. etc. Built many rigs and never had all these problems.

it was a brand new hard drive, brand new gpu, brand new power... old MB, CPU, and DVDrom. 2 older 1GB sticks of ram and 2 new. i am still struggling with it and have yet to find a solution because it is pure luck if i can get it to boot all the way at all. It took 3 attempts just to download and update the windows update due to BSOD.

Any input is welcome and has my utmost gratitude. Thanks.

Reaction score
Same situation here, I also have new hardware. I rang up Microsoft Support and got transferred to every department, none of which knew the answer :D
Edit: Microsoft support found the key I got off the MSDN website was for a different version of Windows than the one I downloaded as an image, this may be affecting the install.

Last edited:
Reaction score
After you get past the language selection, select Repair, and then open command Prompt.
Enter diskpart
Enter list disk
Enter select disk <number>
Then Enter clean
Restart the System, and now you should be able to complete the installation.
Hope this works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question