Network 7 shared drives expiration from Android and iOS devices.

Reaction score
I have a win7 pc that has two external usb drives that are fully shared. At all times I can access them from other pc's on my network; win xp pro, vista, win10 and other win 7 pc's.

The problem is that when accessing this from my ipad, iphone 6 and my galaxy tab s2, the shares seem to expire after a certain amount time time. I have yet to determine how long those periods are. In order to access those shared win 7 drives from my android and iOS devices, I have to reboot the host win 7 pc. After that they're fully available until another time when I have to reboot the win7 pc again.
During these times when the android and iOS devices can't access the drives, my windows pcs have no issues at all.

My max connecitons is set to 20.

Also it doesn't matter which android or iOS network files browser I use; the results are always the same.

Thanks for any input. I'm puzzled.

Thanks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Does anything show in Event Viewer when you are locked out from accessing the shares on your Android/iOS devices? Also, which software are you using to access the network share from those devices - perhaps it's not closing the connection properly and causing problems.

Reaction score
I haven't checked event logs yet. Would it show that I tried to access the Windows shares from iOS and android devices?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, if the drives are plugged in to the Windows 7 PC and shared from there, then the event logs may show you if the connections were blocked for some reason. It's worth a try anyway :).

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Much to my shagrin I never thought of checking those.

I really should've thought of that.

Thanks

Ask a Question