Dell Inspirion 1501 "No drives were found. Click load driver..." Error

Reaction score
Hello All. I found a similar thread through google regarding the "No drives found" error, actually I've been sifting through quite a few forums to find a solution and have not yet been sucessfull.

So, long story short I have a Dell Insipirion 1501 that I'm trying to reformat for someone. When I first turned the laptop on to get a grasp on what the deal was with it, I saw "No operating system found". I thought Oh boy, here we go. So naturally the Bios does not detect a fixed disk, and when I attempt to reformat the HDD I of course get the above error.

Heres a pretty thorough list of what ive done:

-Switched HDD's: I've tried about 5 different HDD's of varying size and brand, all of them the same issue.(none will show a fixed disk in BIOS)

-Attempted to test the hard drive by plugging it up to my other computer. It never detected, which leads me to believe that the drive it came with is dead, but obviously not the problem(or at least all of it), see the first thing on my list.

-Ran diskpart on all 5 drives I have used. Says no fixed disks to show on the "list disk" command

Now on to the last part. I HAVE attempted to load new BIOS drivers, gotten from the Inspirion Dell site. Could the BIOS drivers even help me here? either way, I dont think I was able to load them because(correct me if I am wrong) I need to launch some sort of command prompt at the "Load Driver" screen so I can access said drivers from a flash drive. Could someone help me out and post the commands to load the drivers from a flash drive through cmd? Obviously dont waste your time if its all for naught, It's just one of the fix's ive heard work for people.

Lastly, the drive it came with is a Seagate momentus 5400.3 60g hdd. The Seagate site doesn't really have much information about it, and googling reveals no drivers. Also, the other HDD's I have should have the drivers already installed, or Windows should grab them when its formatting, which leads me to believe that, if its not the BIOS drivers, then it must be something in the connection of the HDD to the mobo, which is pretty much out of my hands.

Pre thanks to anyone who can help, and sorry for the lengthy post, I just wanted to be very thorough in my OP so there wasn't a lot of back and forth posting to find out information.

Ask a Question