Laptop shutdowns automatically without me doing anything

Shintaro

Reaction score
Ok, Kernel Power is not the best event to have. It can be caused by power (power supply, UPS) or the actual CPU.

So do you have a UPS (Uninterruptible Power supply) between the computer and the wall socket?

I'm hoping that it's not the CPU.
Lets do the standard checks first.

1. Download and run TDSSKiller.
      1. Accept the "End User License Agreement"
      2. Accept the "KSN Statement"
      3. Select "Change Parameters" and Select:
        • Verify file digital signatures
        • Detect TDLFS file system
        • Use KSN to scan objects
      4. When the scan is complete the log file is in C:\ It will have a name like "TDSSKiller.3.0.0.34_04.05.2014_08.05.16_log.txt"
    2. Install Malwarebytes (Free Version)
      1. Select "Threat Scan"
      2. When it is completed, please upload the log file from: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\Logs
    3. Please download and run Windows Defender Offline.
      1. Click "Next"
      2. Click "I Accept"
      3. Select Either: (Typically it is either CD/DVD or USB)
        • CD or DVD
        • USB
        • ISO file
      4. Cllick "Next"
      5. It will create a CD / DVD / USB and will boot and scan your hard drive offline.
    4. Download hwInfo and run it.
      • Click on "Save Report"
      • Make sure the Export Format is HTML
      • Click "Browse" and select your "Desktop"
      • Give the file a name like MyComputer or your Forum username.
      • Click on Save
      • Click on "Next".
      • Click on "Finish"
      • Put the newly created MyComputer.html (Or what ever you decided to call it) in to a zip file and upload it to the forum.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Ok, time to test the CPU.

hwInfo Logging:
  1. Download hwInfo, if you haven't already from HERE.
  2. Right click on HWiNFO64.exe and select "Run as Administrator"
  3. Click on "run"
  4. Click on "Sensors"
    upload_2014-8-16_19-8-31.png

5. Click on "Logging Start" Icon
    upload_2014-8-16_19-8-4.png

6. Choose a location where you can find the file. And choose a name, like MyPC.
  7. Click on "Save"
Logging is now running.

Prime 95 Stress Test.
  1. Please download Prime95 from HERE.
  2. Unzip the file and run prime95.exe
  3. Options -> Torture Test
  4. Select "Small FFT's"
  5. Click on OK
You need to run the test for at least 6 hours. If all is good there will be NO errors.

After the 6 hours or a crash upload the logging file from hwInfo.

In Prime 95:
  1. Select the lower Window "Workers"
  2. Click on "Edit -> Copy Window"
  3. Paste the results to the forum or in a text file and upload it to the forum.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, my computer decided to shutdown again just minutes ago. I was just watching a IGN video and had another tab open, I don't consider that pushing my laptop...anyway, here's the hwinfo log after the shutdown. Tell me if you want the logs.

I will have to refuse doing the Prime 95 Stress test, I am not in a situation atm where I can buy another computer if my CPU decides to burn.

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Ok, I had quick look around and i see that the replacement CPU (Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 / 2 GHz) is $20 AUD on ebay. Which is good for you, nice and cheap.

So if you run Prime 95 just for a short time monitoring the temperature in hwInfo it would be better than nothing.
If the current Temperature in hwInfo gets above 80 degrees celsius then stop the test.

The names like "Burn test" and Torture Test don't sound good, I know but it is nothing that a pc cannot handle.

Watch for 2 things:
  1. If Prime95 is producing errors
  2. How quickly the temperature rises and does not go back down again.
Anyway you need to find out if what you paid for worked or you need to ask for your money back.

Shintaro

Reaction score
The only thing that I can think of is to run hwInfo logging when you first start up the laptop. Then just use your laptop as normal until it crashes.
When your laptop reboots, zip and upload the csv file.

On a side note:
If the tech did not install the replacement CPU correctly it will not dissipate heat correctly and more than likely the CPU is broken anyway and will need replacing.

I looked for the service manual for your laptop. It is not a difficult job to replace the CPU, just time consuming one.

Reaction score
I explained this issue a little bad so let's just make one thing clear about this, the computer turns itself off, it doesn't shutdown and reboot after.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Yep, I understand that.
So just run hwInfo logging until it shuts itself down.
Then restart your laptop and upload the logging file.

Reaction score
Just run prime95 or intelburntest, it's not gonna burn the CPU out or anything. And if it does then that means the CPU was knackered anyway, but it won't because it will shut down before it gets too hot as all modern CPU's do.

Reaction score
Also, in the first picture you sent on this thread, it appears Windows is indicating that your battery holds little or no charge (cross over the icon in the notification tray). If you hover over it it should say something like "Consider replacing battery soon".

So that makes me wonder, are you using a non original power adapter (charger). Because if you are, and the wattage of it is very low or the voltage is slightly different compared to an original adapter, the machine wont be getting a proper power feed as the main source of power is from the power adapter because the battery is malfunctioning.

I'd have my money on that's exactly the problem! :)

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Nice, it would be great if that was the case.

Wicken,
On the power supply that your using can you take a picture of it and post it to the forum. It will have some numbers on it.
That's what we need to see.

Reaction score
Nice, it would be great if that was the case.

Wicken,
On the power supply that your using can you take a picture of it and post it to the forum. It will have some numbers on it.
That's what we need to see.
Sure I can, I was actually going to convince you now that the problem might be related to my cable adaptor.
You will have to excuse my camera quality but this is the best I could do.

Anyway here's the important info that you might be looking for.
Model: HP-OK065B13 LF REV:03
Input: 100-248V ~1.7A (1,7A) 50-60Hz
Output: 19V = 3.43A (3,43A) 65W

S/N F3-081121865103

Attachments

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
If you still run hwInfo logging until the laptop shut's itself off, the voltages and current's will be recorded.

Reaction score
Sure I can, I was actually going to convince you now that the problem might be related to my cable adaptor.
You will have to excuse my camera quality but this is the best I could do.

Anyway here's the important info that you might be looking for.
Model: HP-OK065B13 LF REV:03
Input: 100-248V ~1.7A (1,7A) 50-60Hz
Output: 19V = 3.43A (3,43A) 65W

S/N F3-081121865103
Was this the adapter that came with the computer? If so, it could just be faulty. Also, the adapter being incorrect or faulty may have been what caused your battery to fail.

Edit: Just looked up the model number and that appears to be the standard issue adapter for an Acer Aspire, I assume you have an Acer Aspire?

Reaction score
Was this the adapter that came with the computer? If so, it could just be faulty. Also, the adapter being incorrect or faulty may have been what caused your battery to fail.

Edit: Just looked up the model number and that appears to be the standard issue adapter for an Acer Aspire, I assume you have an Acer Aspire?
Yes, this is the one that came with the box. I have an Acer Aspire 5737Z.

Reaction score
It's probably just faulty then, I'd try a new one and I'd also get a new battery if I were you.
There is another thing that I forgot to mention, I am not been using my battery since 2011 because it doesn't last that long so there reason for these issues to happen might be that I have my laptop turned on for extended periods of time with the cable adapter connected. Might be wrong but please, someone prove me otherwise.

If you don't mind, I would prefer to give extra information before I buy a new one if necessary.

Reaction score
There is another thing that I forgot to mention, I am not been using my battery since 2011 because it doesn't last that long so there reason for these issues to happen might be that I have my laptop turned on for extended periods of time with the cable adapter connected. Might be wrong but please, someone prove me otherwise.

If you don't mind, I would prefer to give extra information before I buy a new one if necessary.
Fair enough. The reason the battery doesn't last very long is because it is faulty, and it is probably faulty because the power adapter is faulty too, causing damage to the battery by providing unstable power.

Please do give records related to power though so we can see what kind of power is being delivered from your power adapter.

Reaction score
Fair enough. The reason the battery doesn't last very long is because it is faulty, and it is probably faulty because the power adapter is faulty too, causing damage to the battery by providing unstable power.

Please do give records related to power though so we can see what kind of power is being delivered from your power adapter.
The battery doesn't last that long now because I was constantly charging it, instead of last 2 to 3 hours like it should, it lasts between 30-45 minutes.

About your second request, where can I do some tests?

Ask a Question