I need to download a Win7 Recovery disk for my Toshiba Satellite laptop please

Reaction score
I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop that is about 5 years old
Unfortunately I can only boot into Safe Mode and it has been suggested that - on another computer - I need to download and create a recovery disk on a DVD-R. I can then boot my laptop off this desk and run Windows repair.
Where can I download this from?
The Windows licence key is available on a sticker attached to the underside of the laptop so clearly Win 7 was pre-loaded when I bought it
Any help would be really appreciated

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Recovery disks would be something you normally create w/in the first month of owning the computer (if it does not have a preformatted recovery partition on the hard drive).

Your Toshiba license would be an OEM license so you are also not eligible to download the Windows 7 Installation DVD from Microsoft.

Toshiba would be able to sell you recovery DVDs or System restore disks for your specific computer but in the USA they normally cost between $89 and $199.

You might find a friend that owns the Windows 7 Installation DVD (be sure to use the correct disk: one is 32-bit, the other is for 64-bit). You should also download all the latest drivers from Toshiba specific to your computer & OS version & put those on a DVD or flash drive (being sure to expand any compressed zip files into individual folders) in case the W7 installation needs them. You would then use the license on the sticker to activate if needed.

Reaction score
Hi there
I just had exactly the same requirement yesterday
No sign of an original disc and the microsoft home said my product code was not appropriate for the iso download
A quick call to Toshiba (aust) support fixed me up. I had failed to complete a very simple boot procedure
btw they offered to sell me a recovery disc but only after I was sure I'd tried the free standard method

Complete all your backups of important files
Shut down your Satellite
Make sure mains power applied
When completely off press the "0" key (zero)
Keep holding it while you press the power button
Don't release the "0" until the special boot files are loaded

You will then be given the options for a reinstall to the condition as shipped. Toshiba Satellite include a hidden partition with the original info stored

I have completed the clean reinstall and am just going through the "hundreds" of W7 updates , hopefully nearly done and hopefully end result will be a faster running machine with no bloatware

Would be interested to hear how you get on

Ask a Question