SOLVED Internet explorer?

Reaction score
Silver surfer here, a bit foggy these days. Is it ok to ask about Internet explorer and W7 behaviour?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Of course you can ask. We'll help if we know the answer.

Personally I avoid IE as much as possible as I prefer FireFox. But ask your question and maybe we can help

Reaction score
Hi again Trainable
I have never used anything but IE and my computer has slowed down a bit. I have read warnings on IE so I havr been trying to improve the performance from directions in magazines.
Here are a few announces:
1. IE after a google or other, search on something IE, requires a double click to get the links to work.
2. If I say open in new tab, it says google in window ((upper left)and waits for a double click. Often the tab slides into the adjoining space deleting the other one.
3. I had a virus the other day MalSign.Generic,834. I have AVG free. Could not get rid of it so I used System Restore and it was ok.
I will stop here. What do you think?
I would put on Firefox but I am afraid it would change passwords and other settings??

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
A search for MalSign.Generic,834 says it is CONDUIT.

Conduit is an annoying piece of garbage that is often included with freeware programs as a way for them to generate some revenue. It's main purpose is advertising, not malicious, but it it so aggressive at taking over your homepage and searches that it is often classified as a PUP (Possibly Unwanted Program) by most anti-virus software. Part of the problem is that anti-virus software only removes the executable rather than removing this stuff cleanly so there are pieces left behind.

Start by going to Control Panel > Programs and Features and find anything in the list with the word CONDUIT and uninstall it. Also search for anything that says TOOLBAR and uninstall any that you do not use.

Then open IE and go to Tools > Internet Options. Go to the Advanced Tab and near the bottom choose RESET. This will reset IE to defaults. Then you can set your homepage, etc to your choices.

To prevent this in the future it is important you actually use the advanced install when available and you actually read all the check boxes when you install things. If it says TOOLBAR or free trial or change your homepage, etc then uncheck that box. Every toolbar or extra homepage you add slows your browsers response time, especially if it turns out to be a toolbar that pulls ads etc from the internet.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
NOTE: When you RESET to defaults it may also forget all your remembered logons/passwords (for example these forums); if so then you will need to enter them again the first time you revisit the site.

If you install Firefox it would have it's own settings, homepages, etc. It wouldn't reset any passwords but on any web pages that need a password you would have to enter them the first time there.

Reaction score
Thanks so much. Followed your suggestions up to RESET IE TO DEFAULTS. I am afraid I may have forgotten old passwords so I will hold off on that part. Did find CONDUIT and it appears to have come from trying to follow suggestions from Computer Active magazine thinking I could pep up IE. The CONDUIT problem stems from one or more of those sites. Today for instance I googled https://www.snipca.com/11734 and I got
This page can't be displayed
  • Make sure the web address https://www.snipca.com is correct.
  • Look for the page with your search engine.
  • Refresh the page in a few minutes.
  • Make sure TLS and SSL protocols are enabled. Go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Settings > Security
I don’t know why the snipa gives me such trouble.
I tried again and I got - Your search - https://www.snipca.com/11734 - did not match any documents.
Suggestions:
· Make sure that all words are spelled correctly.
Try different keywords.
· Try more general keywords.

I was going to install CCLeaner Free www.snipca.com/11736 but same thing happened.
I tried an older Ccleaner download site and I could not get it without downloading Chrome. I wanted to try Fire Fox first.
Something is stopping my downloads?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It is possible CONDUIT modified your HOSTS file. By changing the HOSTS file they can redirect your requests to another webpage entirely. Run the Microsoft Fix-it to reset the HOSTS file.

However, if you are unwilling to reset IE then your system is still at risk. You can reset a lot of things manually but it is easier to miss something. In IE go to Tools > Internet Options. Under the General Tab make sure you only have one homepage and make sure it is a well-known site like www.google.com or www.bing.com or www.yahoo.com . Then under the Privacy Tab, hit the SITES button and remove anything that is set to ALLOW (Blocked things are probably fine) and hit OK. Still under the Privacy Tab, hit the ADVANCED button and make sure "Override automatic cookie handling" is not checked. Then make sure the Pop-up blocker is turned on (checked) and under the SETTINGS button make sure blocking level is Medium or High and REMOVE ALL allowed sites. Then under the Programs Tab, click Manage Add-ons. Disable any Toolbars and extensions you don't recognize (post a screenshot here if you are not sure) and under Search Providers delete anything Conduit or other unusual search engines (post a screenshot of that too). Do the same with the Accelerators. Under the Advanced Tab click the RESTORE ADVANCED SETTINGS button ... but do NOT hit the RESET button under that, because that's the button you said you wanted to avoid.

And I'm just hoping they didn't do anything to your Content Tab Certificates or Publishers.

Reaction score
Thanks. Before I get on with this reply, do you think CCleaner now would elevate any of these issues?
Do you think if I downloaded Firefox or Chrome now before the bugs in my IE are fixed, that they- Firefox would also have the bugs?
You can see I am trying to avoid lots of settings, etc. because I always get stuck and my memory is lacking, sorry.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Nope. But if you don't uncheck the right things in CCleaner your passwords will all be gone ... and once that happens you may as well hit RESET :p.

CCleaner doesn't really fix much of anything, mostly it removes things, for space or because the links are broken/missing.

Reaction score
Thank you, glad asked about CCleaner.
I have followed your instruction from above, hopefully. Anything else?
Should I try and download Firefox?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is your system working normally or are websites still an issue?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I found some more suggestions to help make sure it is gone. But again they also recommended the IE RESET followed by ...

Download and run AdwCleaner.

And download, install, update, and run a full scan of Malwarebytes (since you already have anti-virus software DO NOT ALLOW it to start the Free Trial of the full version ... there is a checkbox on the install which you must uncheck and then you need to say no when you first run it).

Reboot your machine and run a complete scan with your anti-virus software.

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm a klutz - forgot how to add a screen shop. Reminder please.

Reaction score
W7 Forum pg..JPG

Tried to download http://house.call.trendmicro.com/uk
But got – screen shot.
Poked around and MidSign.Generic popped up again (screen shot). I found and deleated CONDUIT and it is now ok from that.

Tried to download www.glarysoft.com/glary-utilities (screen shot) You mentioned something about “And I'm just hoping they didn't do anything to your Content Tab Certificates or Publishers.”

Tried to download http://slimcomputer.com, took several attempts but, got it.

Looks like I am still messed up.:(

Attachments

Reaction score
MalSign.Generic834 back again. I cannot find any CONDUITs. Looked on line for a solution but too complex for me. There are hundreds of removal tools but theyare beyond me. Any suggestions of the simple kind? I know I am asking a lot.
Patti

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I never trust products like glarysoft or slimdown. There is no quick fix program but there is such a thing as shooting yourself again. Those two products may be perfectly legitimate but most of them are worthless or even worse they often contain viruses of their own. Please stop trying speed up your computer tools. You would be better off running CCleaner.

You need to start over and this time RESET.

It's also possible your trouble is more serious than CONDUIT.

Please download TDSSKiller and RKill, and you should already have Malwarebytes but if not, download and install that and allow it to update the virus signatures but do not allow it to start the "Free Trial".

Reboot into safe mode.
Run TDSSKiller.
Run RKill
Run a complete scan with Malwarebytes

Reboot into normal mode.
Then open IE and go to Tools > Internet Options. Go to the Advanced Tab and near the bottom choose RESET.
Run the Microsoft Fix-it to reset the HOSTS file.
Run AdwCleaner.
Run another Virus Scan.

Reaction score
Thank you. I am struggling with this. Went as far as Reset. Hard to continue as the downloads you mention are so new to me and complicated instructions if any. Each time I click on a link I get a different one than the one I clickesignd on. Using Help and support to figure out safe mode and how to run these programs. At least I don't have anymore MalSign.Generic.

The Reset changed the way IE looks. Now looking for how to "Send to Desktop?"

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I am most concerned about making sure your system is clean. Were you able to run TDSSKiller, RKILL & MalwareBytes in safe mode, then, in normal mode, reset IE & your hosts file, and run Adwcleaner and finally another virus scan?

BTW: I don't understand what do you send to the desktop from the IE browser? Do you mean where are downloads saved? They go to your Downloads folder by default but apparently you worked it out.

So what is the status? Is it clean now?

Ask a Question