Install 7 on different HD than current XP

Reaction score
Hi All
I currently have XP on a 120GB drive. I just installed a 1TB drive and want to use that as my main HD. (I plan to have 2 partitions on this drive.) I assume that 7 will want to install to the C:drive which is currently the XP 120 GB drive. What is the best way for me to install 7 (64 bit) and have the 120 GB as a second drive for data and have the 1TB as the primary drive? (I've tried to backup everything to several DVD-RW). This is my first atttempt and changing OS and HD's so all help will be appreciated.

Thanks to all

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
For W7 (or Vista) install I have found it is easiest to just disconnect the other drives (in your case the 120GB) and boot from the W7 DVD and then it will only find the one HD where you truly want to install. Install W7, which requires some reboots, and then once complete, reconnect the old 120 to format for your data.

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. If I disconnect the 120 GB drive that has XP, how will 7 verify that I have a licensed copy of XP for the 7 upgrade?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I've never had to remove my other drives... I just select the drive I want to install to and create the partition(s) there.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. If I disconnect the 120 GB drive that has XP, how will 7 verify that I have a licensed copy of XP for the 7 upgrade?
Go ahead and do a full clean install, because it's not possible to upgrade over the top of XP. Go to this link below and read up on how to do it, very easy and it works and is legitimate.

Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media

Ask a Question