Upgrading vista to win7 using a 7 full install dvd

Reaction score
I have a win7 Pro 32bit full install dvd (I have a productl key) and I want to upgrade vista to 7 without having to reinstall my apps and documents. Is this possible? If so what options should I select?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If it is a full version rather than an upgrade then, no, it is not

Reaction score
If it is a full version rather than an upgrade then, no, it is not
Why would you say that?

The full version will do everything the upgrade version does. The full version has its own key, which doesn't link back to the original OS key through an upgrade license.

In fact I'd be willing to bet all the upgrade license are used up. And the only way to get an upgrade activated would be to use the full version.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Clifford, he wants to Upgrade, installing overtop his existing Vista "without having to reinstall my apps and documents", with the Full version of Win7.

Maybe I'm wrong but I didn't think the full version would facilitate upgrade...I only ever went from XP to W7 so I will defer to Clifford's experience.

Errol, was your Vista 32 bit? Because I know for certain you cannot install 32-bit W7 overtop an existing 64-bit Vista.

Reaction score
Yeah the only difference between the installs is how the license is handled. That is assuming as you said the edition and bit version is matched.

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Yes I have a 32bit Windows 7 Pro plus dvd, with a license key. I have a system backup of the Vista installation, so can revert to Vista if things go wrong! Just wonder if I will get a message giving me the chance to keep my apps, especially my MS Office apps. Don't want to have to buy another Office.

Reaction score
OK, I ran the Win7 Pro install and clicked on "keep apps and docs etc" it eventually said that Vista could not be updated to Win Pro. So that is that! Have to do a clean install! Thanks for help.

Reaction score
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...m/2c727b32-86ea-4648-b42e-61d447f8c930?auth=1

If you are running Windows Vista , in some cases you can upgrade directly to Windows 7 and in other cases you will need to perform a custom installation. The following table shows which editions of Windows Vista can be upgraded to Windows 7.

Windows Vista Home Basic - - - Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Ultimate
Windows Vista Home Premium - Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Ultimate
Windows Vista Business - - - - - Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate
Windows Vista Ultimate - - - - - - Windows 7 Ultimate

For more information, see Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 . (http://windows.microsoft.com/upgrade-windows-vista )

Ask a Question