SOLVED Can't do a repair installation of Win7 Pro

JDD

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a Win7PRO Acer pc with an "ASUS UEFI BIOS number B85M-E BIOS VERSION 3505" that was upgraded last year with a new MotherBoard.

I'm trying to do a repair install of Wn7PRO (because Task Scheduler stopped working and I've tried for days doing various online advice's to no avail) but I keep getting this message after I click to do the repair installation:
"This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows."

I have an official MS Win7 Pro disk and key.

An advice I got online was to change not only the boot order to make the DVD the first, but to also change the DVD's "channel" to make it the lowest channel number.

I don't know what a device's channel is, or where to set the channel for a device.

In the initial "EZ Mode" UEFI BIOS Utility screen, where I'm able to drag the drives into my preferred order, there are six (6) drive icons with these labels when I hover the mouse over them in this order from left to right: (the "DVD icon" and "HDD icon" are added by me to indicate what the icon looks like):

(DVD icon) P5: HL-DT-STDVDRAM GH22NS50 (3167MB)
(DVD icon) UEFI: HL-DT-STDVDRAM GH22NS50 (3167MB)
(HDD icon) Windows Boot Manager (P3 ST1000DM003-1CH162)
(HDD icon) P1: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB )238475MB)
(HDD icon) Windows Boot Manager (P1: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB)
(HDD icon) Windows Boot Manager (P1: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB)

I've gone into the BIOS/UEFI, dragged the boot order to make the it the first, gone into advanced options (and pressing F7 doesn't work; I have to mouse and doubleclick "Advanced"), and looked at every option I can see to find SOMEthing that relates to either the boot order, the channel, or both and found nothing
that I can change. So far the only place I can change the boot order is the initial screen.

Another advice was to disable other drives except the C drive. Short of actually unplugging the HDD D-drive I can't see how, in the UEFI/BIOS settings, to disable a drive.

My goal is to do a repair install of Win7PRO.

How do I get this done?

Any advice is much appreciated!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Before trying a recovery DVD ...
your first option should be to try a System Restore to a Restore Point before the problems began. Type System Restore into the search box. When system restore opens choose show more restore points. Choose a date prior to when the problem began. Allow it to use the built-in restore options. Hopefully that gets things back to normal.

If that doesn't help then I would try installing Win7 directly overtop the existing installation (but again, you can't do that unless your DVD is the same version & Bit-size as what you have installed on the PC).

Ask a Question