Installing QuickBasic 4.5?

Reaction score
About 10 years ago I wrote a useful program in QuickBasic 4.5 that I'd like to resurrect. I called it ORG and it put miscellaneous notes for a book I was writing into separate files -- i.e., I'd slug each note with the filename, and the program would go through the shebang and open the designated file, put the note in, and close the file.

Now I use a Windows 7 64-bit machine, and I can't get QB to run on it. I'll appreciate any suggestions as to how to run QuickBasic or perhaps use other software.

Many thanks!
Howard

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If QuickBasic was a 16-bit program then it cannot run under a native 64-bit OS (only 32-bit or 64-bit programs run under a 64-bit OS). However if you have Win 7 Pro or Ultimate you can install & run the Windows XP mode which is a 32-bit emulation of Windows XP. Since that is a 32-bit OS it can run 32-bit or 16-bit programs.

It's quite a bit of work to run an old program so maybe someone will come along to suggest an alternative Thought Organizer or you might >>check out this list<<
NOTE: I've not tried any of these myself & do not know if they are all free so be sure to research them.

Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question