Fresh install, slow, going none repsonsive

Reaction score
I few days back my computer hit some trouble. Certain files necessary to boot and operate windows suddenly did "not exist." I figured it had over heated and maybe had some hard drive damage so after checking out the heat sink I tried a fresh install from the bios recovery options to see what would happen. It seemed to work fine but then after uninstalling some bloatware and reinstalling my wireless adapter (usb) it started going really slowly and everything I tried to use would just go none-responsive. The boot time was also ridiculously long. I checked the hard drive with no errors found and the same with the memory. When it goes none-responsive it's not using an inordinately increased amount of ram or CPU. It looks like it's idling normally, not maxed out at all but it freezes none the less. I tried reinstalling windows again with a similar result. Works fine straight away, no apparent hardware errors to be found and running smoothly. The second time I installed a favorite classic game, age of empires two, before installing the wireless adapter to see what would happen. It would freeze momentarily and intermittently during play, on a fresh install of windows and having only uninstalled some obvious bloatware. Then I tried installing a different USB wireless adapter to try to run the windows updates and the same thing happened as before. All of a sudden my computer is so slow and freezes so frequently that it is just unusable. What the hell?

Shintaro

Reaction score
Welcome to W7Forums,

When you say that you checked the disk how did you do that?

I would suggest that you start by checking for viruses.

1. Download and run TDSSKiller.
    1. Accept the "End User License Agreement"
    2. Accept the "KSN Statement"
    3. Select "Change Parameters" and Select:
      • Verify file digital signatures
      • Detect TDLFS file system
      • Use KSN to scan objects
    4. When the scan is complete the log file is in C:\ It will have a name like "TDSSKiller.3.0.0.34_04.05.2014_08.05.16_log.txt"
  2. Install Malwarebytes (Free Version)
    1. Select "Threat Scan"
    2. When it is completed, please upload the log file from: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\Logs
  3. Please download and run Windows Defender Offline.
    1. Click "Next"
    2. Click "I Accept"
    3. Select Either: (Typically it is either CD/DVD or USB)
      • CD or DVD
      • USB
      • ISO file
    4. Cllick "Next"
    5. It will create a CD / DVD / USB and will boot and scan your hard drive offline.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

Follow the instructions and check that it is not virus activity.

It is the most basic starting point.

Reaction score
You're so full of it. The most basic starting point would be to read the post. You would then find that I've completely restored the computer and am running a fresh install of the OS, and that installing the drivers necessary to go online render the computer unusable, so nice try with your "download all this bloatware bullshit" attempt at assistance, but I think I'll do fine without.

Shintaro

Reaction score
If you have been in the IT industry more than 5 minutes you would understand that I cannot see your computer or know if you are connected to the internet or what you have or have not installed / done.

People say all kinds of things, that they have completed this or that. But in reality, they more often than not simply HAVE NOT.

Further, if you think that Malwarebytes, TDSKiller from Kaspersky, Microsoft offline scan are bloatware then you need to have a re-think.

Also if you have "Fresh" install of the OS, you did not mention installation of patches offline, then it can take less than 8 minutes (on average) for an un-patched Windows PC to be hacked on the internet due to worms etc.

Reaction score
Yeah, you would have no way of knowing that I can't get online except for that I told you.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Look, I can pull apart what you said and argue with you (which serves no purpose) all day long or I can try and help you.

Anyway if you want help, I can try to assist you.
But you need to provide:
  • Hardware spec by running CPU-Z or hwInfo
  • Event logs
There *might* be crash file(s) in:
c:\Windows
c:\Windows\Minidump
c:\Windows\Live KernelReports\WATCHDOG

The choice is yours.

Ask a Question