Windows 7 Pro Fresh Install "the subsystem needed to support the image type is not present"

Reaction score
I am trying to install Windows 7 Pro 64 on a Dell PowerEdge 830.
It seems that the only driver for the RAID controller is Windows Server 2008 R2 which is 64-bit. That's what I'm told.

The preboot finds the drives yet no hard drives/partitions are found during the install so I have to Load Drivers.
When I try to Load Drivers, nothing is found that should work.
When I try to run driver files from the command prompt, I get:
"the subsystem needed to support the image type is not present"

Obviously there is no Windows installation to use to try the published fixes that I could find.
So, I'm stuck.

Is this a good place to ask this question?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Best guess you have an exe with the driver(s). You need to expand the drivers on a working computer and store them uncompressed. Most commonly, the exe is simply a self-extracting zip file; to test this simply rename the file from .exe to .zip and then click on it. If I am right, expand it including files and any subfolders and store them to a flash drive or write them to a CD. Point to that flash/CD when W7 needs the RAID driver(s).

If you can provide the link where you downloaded the RAID drivers we can take a look.

Ask a Question