New Fresh Install of Win7 Pro 64, but keeps the Shutting down on for a long time!

Reaction score
New Fresh Install of Win7 Pro 64, but keeps the Shutting down on for a long time!

I wanted to do a computer upgrade, so I bought all new components, motherboard,intel haswell CPU, a Seasonic PSU, 16GB DDR3 Ram, and used my copy of a OEM System build WIN 7 Insrtall onto a new Solid State SSD Samsung EVO 840 (250GB).

I realize that I have to have Windows do their updating process to 'catch up', but a few times when It loades up many update files, lie 138, it states," DO NOT POWER DOWN OR SHUT OFF YOUR COMPUTER". that can take some time, but when it gets to the SHUTTING DOWN mode, last night for instance, after two and a half hours, I had to shut the Tower case power switch OFF. I don't like doing this, but it's the only way to have it boot up again. Then after boot up, it tells me the updates had a failure.

Since this is a, authentic OEM system builder Microsoft Windows 7 PRO 64 Bit INSTALL CD, I know I can not do a SYSTEM RESTORE, and also probably can not do a REPAIR of WINDOWS. I may, but after all the install of software, programs, utilities, et., I did not want to take a chance of screwing what I have already downloaded.

Thank You!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would try the Microsoft Fix-it for Windows Updates

I would also recommend that you run windows updates manually and do a few updates at a time, rather than "all recommended," until you are caught up, especially if your DVD was pre-SP1.

Example: .NET updates alone seem to take about 20 minutes each on my computer.

Even for OEM:
A System Repair from the Installation DVD. All this does is check some system files and the boot partition, so it is perfectly safe and won't wipe out any work you have done.

And there is a System Restore program built-in to windows 7, basically it takes a snapshot of important system files (registry, etc) when it feels it should (or if you force creation of a restore point manually). A restore point can allow you to go back in time in case something gets corrupted however, this could cause programs to be backed out so you need to read what programs it says will be affected, if any, before you OK a restore.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
W7 offers sleep and hibernation and it is also possible that important things, such as your SSD are being allowed to sleep while your are away and it could affect proper shut-down. You may need to tweak the Control Panel > Power Options. Me personally I never let my hard drive sleep.

Ask a Question