Freezing problem hotfix

Reaction score
Alternative (MS) for Windows 7 freezing

I just joined to offer this solution which worked for me after I read this thread for hours and no suggestions helped:

MS Hotfix for random crashes:

http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=2265716&kbln=en-us

trick = restart twice after installing hot fix. odd but true

trickyricky

P.S MS will e-mail you link to fix which requires a password they provide. Woohoo.........spooky

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you follow trickyricky's link, there is no description as to what that fix is, so I did a search:

This hotfix is issued to solve the problem of computers with Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7 that stops responding at random times and freeze without a reason (referred to in KB2265716). In fact, the root to this annoying problem is a deadlock condition between three parts of the entire system, and those are eLsass.exe process, the Redirected Drive Buffering Subsystem (Rdbss.sys) driver, and the Winsock kernel. So if you are facing this issue then here is hotfix Fix322397 provided by Microsoft.

However, before you either get too fixed or fume in a corner, we need to tell you that the fix is still in testing phase. This way, unless you are not severely affected by this problem, it will be best for you to wait until there is a better software update, in which a much more convincing hotfix will be included.
Source

So for some of you who have exhausted the other ideas, it may well be worth a try.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks to Trickyricky for pointing this out. I am not familiar with hotfixes but I will try anything to stop these annoying freezes. There are three different downloads available on the page: link has been removed due misleading link - not with subject of post. x86, x64, and ia64. I can only assume x86 is designed for W7 32 bit, is that correct?
Is it true I need to reboot my system twice after installing the hotfix?

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jimmy - Nibiru2012 here, your link has been removed due to a false and misleading link. Please refrain in the future from this nonsensical behavior. Thank You! ~Nibs

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
If you follow trickyricky's link, there is no description as to what that fix is.....So for some of you who have exhausted the other ideas, it may well be worth a try.
Sorry for the blind link I was just so excited to share and I am a newbie here.

My computer setup is nothing exotic. Win 7 had worked perfect for the first month until this vexing bug developed.

FYI: I spent 3 days dealing with this issue and even returned my computer to the computer shop that recently performed OS upgrade. They determined no hardware issues so I knew it was software. A buddy of mine who is a video engineer and fellow geek turned me on to the hot patch fix. I found the trick about restarting twice after some research and empirical trial.

I had also wasted $30 for an on-line registry cleaner that when purchased was set to auto renew yearly which I had to opt out of.

I hope this solution helps others.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
trickyricky, It's a good link and maybe a possible solution for some of the people who have this issue so I just wanted to clarify it's purpose and basically validate that it is indeed a hotfix from Microsoft. Good posting, thank you.

As I understand it, it is still essentially beta testing so it is not yet ready for public distribution with the monthly fixes but may well be worth trying for those individuals pulling their hair out with this problem.

DISCLAIMER: I do think it is a good idea to rule out the other possible issues presented here first (A/V software, old BIOS, old drivers, etc) before trying patches still in testing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
@ Trainableman

Agreed sir and I bow to your prowess. Funny you mention pulling our hair out since I am bald but I WAS at the end of my rope. Some of the offered remedies were time consuming and a bit out of my pay range to be honest.

The patch works. Obviously there was a need and MS isn't too forthcoming about having to admit/offer it.

As much as I had been praising Win7 to my many diehard Mac friends (and I also own a couple of Macs running Snow Leopard) it was discouraging to experience this unexpected "feature" for which a solution was not readily available.

I am back to loving Win 7 but still find a few of the "one step-forward, two-steps-back" functions odd. Like trying to identify current version of software without have to sift through regedit or loading Calculator>Help.

Sorry for the wasted bandwidth, I'll begin lurking and glad I joined.

-trickyricky

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Alternative (MS) for some BSODs

I have tried to normalise a previous thread on the topic of BSODs. It was too long to make anymore sense. The first post came up and started a string in a slighly different direction, so I pushed the relevatn stuff over to here.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Dave, this is NOT for BSODs. It's a deadlock issue which causes freezes; a BSOD is not displayed.

Download hotfix Fix322397 to fix Windows 7 random freezes

Last edited:
Reaction score
That is correct, no BSOD, Just random freezes during any activity, web browsing, e-mail, word processing, file transfer etc. Mouse would still work but all programs unresponsive.

Keyboard NUM LOCK and CAPS LOCK would toggle but no CNTRL+ALT+DELETE action. The hot fix cured my system and seems to address many symptoms others shared regarding random lock up, just no BSOD.

-trickyricky

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
OK. I didn't try it. Maybe the thread title can be altered.

Reaction score
Thanks to Trickyricky for pointing this out. I am not familiar with hotfixes but I will try anything to stop these annoying freezes. There are three different downloads available on the page: x86, x64, and ia64. I can only assume x86 is designed for W7 32 bit, is that correct?
Is it true I need to reboot my system twice after installing the hotfix?

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy
Yes x86 is 32 bit version. (I'm running 64 bit btw.)

I had read on another site that a double restart was required.

When I installed the hotfix I neglected to do that and only rebooted once. My system froze again same as before.

No more problems since 2nd reboot. Just my .02¢

I hope it works for you since I was annoyed for 3 days and had invested significant time and money into installing and configuring current system the way I like it.

MS has promised SP1 in earlly 2011.

Hope it helps you, please report back regardless. <fingers crossed>.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
OK in the spirit of helping others, here is link to the Microsoft Hot fix.

Hope this conforms to board Terms and Conditions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2265716/

This hot fix worked for me after attempting several other suggestions offered here.

Apparently it is a known problem and MS is not that forthcoming about it's existence. Although they describe as kinda a solution of last resort.

Not sure about the whole link with password bit but what the heck, it works!

Please report back to board with results.

- all the best

tricky

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
three different downloads available on the page: x86, x64, and ia64. I can only assume x86 is designed for W7 32 bit, is that correct?
Use x86 if you have a 32-bit W7 OS, use x64 if you have a 64-bit, you won't have an ia64 server.

Hope this conforms to board Terms and Conditions:
Posts to the Microsoft website are fine. Posts to other W7 forums should be kept to a minimum but if the answer is not available here then we are here to help so yes provide the answer (preferably quote the answer and merely provide a Source link rather than post "GO HERE"). Spamming is a problem so links to paid software/sites/services should never be part of your signature and for the most part should be avoiding in your posts as well unless it is pertinent to the discussion (like we have a thread called what is your favorite software). Pertinent freeware may be mentioned and there is also a freeware thread.

For the most part the mods can tell when people join just to spew their links rather than be true and active participants that occasionally use paid software and think it is useful enough to share. I'm guessing in that one post Jimmy made there was a mistaken URL pasted and it was quickly corrected by Nibs; if he was a new member he would likely have been banned immediately but at 67 posts we recognize mistakes happen.

Not sure about the whole link with password bit but what the heck, it works!
If I were to offer a hunch, I believe the issue here is that this is likely a kernal patch of some sort and being still beta with such a critical component Microsoft probably wants strong controls over it's use, plus then they have your email if they have to send out a tweak or warn you to uninstall because of issues.

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK I unzipped it to my C:/ drive, is that all I need to do?

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Probably not. Did you get the password from Microsoft?

Reaction score
Yes I got the password emailed instantly.
Right now WMP is experiencing its longest freeze I have ever witnessed. I rebooted 3 or 4 times, when I open WMP with a few mp3's - all I need to do is skip to next song and back and forward a few times to bring on a freeze. IE seems to be running fine during this, which is not the norm.
CPU usage seems quite unhealthy, averaging around 27 - 35% where as it used to spike between 0 - 2%.
Aside from unzipping the .exe to C:/, was there anything else I was supposed to do?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just unzipping a file does nothing but uncompress it. How many files/folders were inside the zip? Look in the unzipped folder for instructions such as a ReadMe or maybe it has an exe like Install.

Reaction score
Omg how embarrasing. I remember recently unzipping some windows file to C:/ drive and that was all I had to do. Thanks, I will report a bit later on how it is going.

Reaction score
OK, from memory:

1. Follow link to hot patch , select your OS type and enter your e-mail info.
2. Check your e-mail and download link. (Create a new folder to save to or it will default to Temp folder.) Print the e-mail if you want to have password handy for step #3.
3. Go to folder and unzip file (I don't recall if it was "self-extracting") at this point you will be asked for password that was provided with link.
4. Either follow prompts or file will run. (Can't remember.)
5. Restart TWICE.

Hopefully life is good again and you can report back here with positive results.

-trickyricky

Reaction score
If I were to offer a hunch, I believe the issue here is that this is likely a kernal patch of some sort and being still beta with such a critical component Microsoft probably wants strong controls over it's use, plus then they have your email if they have to send out a tweak or warn you to uninstall because of issues.
I think you are spot on as I was getting 2 "Kernel Errors" in my log / event viewer prior to lock ups.

Wow, you guys are good! Kudos and I'm glad I found this site.

Ask a Question