New to this Site and Problems with Audio Freezing Internet

Reaction score
Hello and I am new to this site.

I have a netbook by emachines and I'm having some problems with the sound. For starters, when I go to websites like youtube or any other website the doesn't work and on top of that, it freezes the internet which sends it into a "not responding" state and I have to use the task manager to get out.

I need some help please because I have no idea as to what is going on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You have done a double-post! Here you only have to post your thread once.

Don't worry, we'll get the message.

So you have an eMachine netbook with Windows 7?

How much RAM do you have? Have you tried clearing your cache?

Reaction score
This is going to sound ignorant as hell... but what is cache??? As far as my ram is concern I got 250GB.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
It's your internet cache, you can clear it through your browser tool settings or you can download CCleaner which cleans it for you. It's a free program.

Hmmm... 250GB of RAM?? You must have one heck of a motherboard!!

With a DDR3 4GB stick of RAM averaging about $160 per stick, that's a 63 sticks of RAM x $160 = $10,800 worth of RAM.

May I borrow a couple of thousand dollars? Just kidding... :D Most netbooks only have 1 or 2 GB of RAM max.

The internet cache will eat up memory rather quick if you don't have a lot of RAM. It should be set to retain no more than 40-50MB. You can do that in the Tools options also. Depends on the browser you're using.

You might try increasing the Page File size also. For you, a 2GB size should be adequate.

If Thrax sees this post, he may have a better idea on recommended Page File size for a netbook.

Also double-check your audio settings and driver. Make sure its up to date.

Go here to read up about the internet cache and how it works and what it does. I hope this helps you!

http://www.clear-cache-cleaner.com/

Last edited:
Reaction score
I should it the RAM question a whole lot clearer.

The hard drive is 250gb and the ram is only 1gb.

But this is another problem... there is also no sound for the computer in general.

Even when I'm not in only, I just don't hear anything more. Could it be more than just cleaning the cache?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Yes, it is. Go to Control Panel, then Sound. Check the Playback tab to make sure there are speakers enabled. If not, right-click and and choose: Show Disabled Devices. Then do some sound checks to see it you can get the sound working again.

Reaction score
I deleted the cache, I shutdown the computer and I've been doing the sound check too... and the message that I get is "failed to play test tone" when I do that.

As usual, when I click a video for youtube it don't work (the sound) and as far as the browser??? That shuts down. Am i better off creating another user account?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
No don't create another account. What is the audio chipset for your netbook?

Is the driver installed? Have you checked the Device Manager under the Computers, right-click, Properties the click Device Manger. Any yellow warning icons on sound?

Reaction score
No don't create another account. What is the audio chipset for your netbook?

Is the driver installed? Have you checked the Device Manager under the Computers, right-click, Properties the click Device Manger. Any yellow warning icons on sound?

Where do I find the Chipset for the netbook? And Where am I supposed to find the driver? As far as the device manager it says that it working find.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
But this is another problem... there is also no sound for the computer in general.
Well, that means it is not a cache problem.

Is this netbook new and still under warranty? If so, consider eMachines tech support - at least to get on record you are having problems. Did it ever work? Your drivers should have been installed and working out of the box and you should at least have system sounds - I think you should work at restoring those first - the rest may just follow. Make sure the sound is not set to Mute in the volume control too.

Have you scanned for malware?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Yeah, it's time to call eMachines tech support as Digerati suggests. They built it, they can help you fix it.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Especially if still under warranty - you don't want to do anything that might give them reason to void it.

Reaction score
Are you getting sound from any source? Like when you boot the machine or shutdown do you get any sounds at all ?. I don't know these machines, do you have a CD drive? If you do, try putting in a music CD to play and see if you get sound from that.

Mike

Ask a Question