Windows 7 freezing problem

Reaction score
Hey I hope someone can help me,
im not too sure if its windows 7 that is the problem just yet.
but I get random frezzing occasionally when browsing the web, and also freezing in games, I only play borderlands and modern warfare 2 on comp.
when mw2 does decide to freeze, its when im searching for a match, and when borderlands decides to freeze, it does so as you enter the game.
my comp specs are as follows:
Manufacturer:Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Processor:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory:6144MB RAM
Hard Drive:1 TB
Video Card:ATI Radeon 5770
Monitor:23" Samsung syncmaster 2333
Sound Card:Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Speakers/Headphones:Logitech X530 5.1
Keyboard:G15
Mouse:G5
Mouse Surface:N/A
Operating System:Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Motherboard:GIGABYTE EX58-UD3R
Computer Case:CoolerMaster

sorry about the mass copy and paste but gives you an idea whats in my comp, I pasted this from my xfire build.

thanks for your help

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi firey69 and welcome to Windows 7 Forums

Nice spec....what power plan do you have Windows 7 set at ?

Reaction score
hey thanks XD
Its on the balanced power plan atm..
any recommendations to change that?
and also I have only a 600w PSU in my comp...
could that affect the freezing problem im having?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Try high performance power plan and 600w is fine for your spec.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, ill check back in the next few days and tell you how it goes =)

Reaction score
Freezing...

Hi,

I too am experiencing intermittent freezing with my Windows 7 Pro 32 bit (Quad core, 3GB RAM, 1GB NVidia, 750W PSU, 500MB HDD). In my case, it seems to happen when a second window is opened. The second window (somewhat transparent above the initial window) allows for mouse activity, but nothing else... unable to close anything or run task manager. After 30 seconds or so, it completely freezes.

As suggested, I have just this moment changed to the High Performance option. If one has other suggstions (incompatible drivers... etc.), they would be most welcome.

Appreciate the time and effort.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Have downloaded all the latest updates from Windows Update?

Do you have the latest firmware installed for the BIOS on the motherboard?

Reaction score
Hey guys im back, I posted this problem a while ago and I still seem to get strange freezing problems. I have windows 7 pro 64bit and my comp specs are as above still. I still cant seem to find a problem to the random freezing im getting. When it happens my cursor can still move around the screen but is blocked from clicking anything. But after around 5 clicks it completely freezes and I have waited an hour before to see if it would unfreeze, but it doesnt, so im forced to restart the system each and every time this happens. it gets frustrating... thanks to anyone who can help me in this matter.

Reaction score
I got a good way to test weather its your hardware or your software I do this test all the time on my friends computers to help me troubleshoot issues. Here's what you can try:
1. boot into safe mode and mess around for a while and see if you freeze up
2. Get a linux livecd to boot from and play around and see if you get freeze ups

If both test do not show freezing I would assume its something wrong with the OS such as a virus or misconfiguration and not any particular hardware problem.

My all time favorite Windows fix is to reinstall it :D so thats what I would suggest next, back up all your data first of course.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi thanks for your input.
I reguarly run virus scans and malware scans, and have never had anything show up.
I have reinstalled windows 7 previously and had continued problems.
The problems can stop for up to 2 or 3 weeks!
then all of a sudden one day I start it up, head straight onto the net or something.
decides to freeze once more, and will continue to freeze through several reboots.

Ask a Question