Folding@home for w7forums.com

Reaction score

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Core - The GPU app definitely makes my GPU core get hot! Plus the Dual Core CPU is working also.

Check these out:

Reaction score
I'm not an expert on all the details, the way it was explained to me. The GPU clients are programmed to use Cuda. When an ATI card is used, the drivers have to be ported through the CPU.

This would explain why ATI uses more CPU cycles than nVidia and possibly why nVidia is a better GPU for folding. I am thinking it's ATI Steam that everyone is hoping will be utilized in the next version of GPU clients.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Right now, I'm at 1900/2500 on my second desktop run. On my laptop, I'm considering one of the high performance betas. They have them for older (XP era) computers. I think that with 2GB RAM on a 32 bit laptop with no other running programs other than my AV, things ought to move faster. I'm willing to dedicate it to the program 24/7, as I've already stated, until it dies. I mean, it can download a 688 Linux OS in 20 minutes, so I need to find a way to "turn up the juice" on it.:D PS: It may do no good, I'm viewing the task manager now, and it's at 100% (the CPU). That's where I want to run. What I need to do is find out what processes aren't needed, and shut them down, and I'll still be running 100% for the program!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm not interested in learning how myself but some of you maybe interested in knowing, there is Linux based clients available. :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's a good idea, but sometimes setting up tasks in Linux can be challenging, to say the least. It's easy to install programs within their software "portal", once you start downloading from the net, things can get tricky fast. Mint works fine for me, as long as I stay "within the box".

This laptop's CPU is running at 100%, I've completely disabled all of Avast's features (6 of them), hopefully it will speed the folding some. There's not much else that I can stop. It's now run almost 38 hours at this rate, not counting the fact that it didn't rest at all prior to this. XP ran non-stop for a week or so, prior to rebooting to 7 to restart my folding. It will be interesting to see how long it will hold at 100%, for a five year old Intel Pentium M processor, it's holding on, but for how long?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I was hoping to post I'm folding now ... but the high-end version don't like my ATI HD 5970 and the i7 / 5970 is getting hot ! :eek:, software wont run proper and keeps crashing so after two wasted frustrating hours I have uninstalled the application from my system, maybe in the future the software will be updated ... I have no intension of going nVidia but good luck to the folders the software works for.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Veedaz, you probably have a lot of money tied up in your computer, I don't blame you, I wouldn't want it that hot myself. Mine's really hot, as hot as that router was last week, if not hotter. I can't let it sit on my lap. The CPU has been at 100% for nearly two days, and doesn't drop, even after disabling services. I've never seen one run at 100% for that long, those Dells must be tough.:D

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Veedaz, you probably have a lot of money tied up in your computer, I don't blame you, I wouldn't want it that hot myself. Mine's really hot, as hot as that router was last week, if not hotter. I can't let it sit on my lap. The CPU has been at 100% for nearly two days, and doesn't drop, even after disabling services. I've never seen one run at 100% for that long, those Dells must be tough.:D
Please correct me if I am wrong, as I well may be, but isn't that what is supposed to happen? That the F@H app will use whatever resources out of 100% aren't being used? So even if you did get rid of more services or running apps, the CPU usage would still be 100% because F@H would just use what resources those services/apps were using...

I think there is a way to cap it though, so that it only uses up to a certain percentage of cpu time, which would certainly make your laptop not run so hot. Look at the config...

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I think you are right Core but I don't want my i7 running flat out day after day or my GPU complaning, fans went in to overdrive and I don't fancy the electric bill, maybe I will come across a lower spec system that would be more suitable (customers that are having new builds often ask if I want there old system)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Please correct me if I am wrong, as I well may be, but isn't that what is supposed to happen? That the F@H app will use whatever resources out of 100% aren't being used? So even if you did get rid of more services or running apps, the CPU usage would still be 100% because F@H would just use what resources those services/apps were using...

I think there is a way to cap it though, so that it only uses up to a certain percentage of cpu time, which would certainly make your laptop not run so hot. Look at the config...
Core, actually I don't even care about the laptop, it's under warranty until sometime in October, if it blows, it blows. My money will be refunded, and I can put some cash with it to buy a new one. HP had one with an i7 processor recently on sale for $598. My desktop is different. With the folding program running, the CPU is displaying around 55 to 58%, I'm not going to push it to the max. Like Veedaz, I have a lot of cash tied up in here, counting my hardware upgrades. I've upped my RAM to the max (4GB) and installed a 750GB WD Caviar Black hard drive on here, then took the one I removed, put it in a case for my Linux install (Mint 8 64 bit). To some, what I've spent may not seem to be much, but not being able to work, I only draw half of what I was making, so this computer is valuable to me.

However, I'm contributing to the project, it's a worthy cause, and I hope other members join the team, as they become aware of it and what it stands for. Veedaz, don't worry, you'll run across one that the customer doesn't want to fool with, and you can use spare parts to make it work for the project. But I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to keep your expensive system pushed to the limit.:top:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
How does the scoring system work? I've checked the box to allow for larger files (10MB or more), I have 4 units, approaching 6, yet Unhyper (Core) has twice the points as me with only 2 work units? What do you have to do to get more points for your work units?

Reaction score
The biggest difference in the scoring is the processing power of the computer that is folding. The larger the WU the more points you will recieve for one WU. However the size of the WU is proportional to the time it will take to complete the WU.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice!
Hum... Could you please add it to signature? Thanks.

By the way, what software do you use? Photoshop?

Cheers,
Fire Cat

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
How does the scoring system work? I've checked the box to allow for larger files (10MB or more), I have 4 units, approaching 6, yet Unhyper (Core) has twice the points as me with only 2 work units? What do you have to do to get more points for your work units?
Look at mine, I'm averaging about 70 points per WU. You guys are smoking me in that respect. But I continue to crunch away and don't really think about. I do think about a new build I'd like to do by the end of the year though.:)

Nice sig c_c! How can I add it to mine?

Last edited:
Reaction score
The User CP will giv e the option to add a signature as well as an avatar. You may not see i ton your older post though. Onace you setup the signature, you can edit the signature at anytime and it will change on all of the post that previously showed a signature.

Ask a Question