Folding@home for w7forums.com

Reaction score
I'm not overclocking now, I grew tired of watching my temps and listening to my fans. Currently running 100% CPU usage with 4 cores at 2.66GHz while temps are around 55C - 60C. I was OC'd at 3.2GHz with temps up to 70C.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I saw an article on that site above. Someone tried to infect the system somehow, with their gaming. Anyway, they've been kicked off the site. Why would someone do a site like folding@home harm? I just don't know about people these days. Anyway, I currently have 810 points for 8 work units. They give me a lot of small jobs. The one that I'm currently on is the smallest that I've had, I'm at 8/125 on this one.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I just tried that myself, it must does that by design. Probably to promote the project, we need a few more on the team.

Reaction score
c_c, clicking on your sig now brings me to the OP. Is that by design?
Yeah I thought it would be better if linked to a folding article for the program instead of our team statistics. The team statistics can be found from my very first post in the thread. However I'm not finished with the signature links. I'm still waiting for the 330,000 points mark so our team members can have a signature like this one.

We need to have a Team Rank of 6000 or better before the site will show our statistics.

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Our team stats have improved greatly in the first week. I believe somewhere near 45 to 50 thousand was where we started.

You are welcome to do whatever you think is right with my sig.

Reaction score
It is your sig and not my place to judge what is right as long as it doesn't violate site regulations. However if you would like for me to change it to the sig I am currently using for folding, I can do so. :)

Special note to everyone:
I am not selfish, feel free to use any of my images. After all most of my images are images that I found and optimized to look different.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Our team stats have improved greatly in the first week. I believe somewhere near 45 to 50 thousand was where we started.

Your sig takes you to the team stats page, yodap. A fast shortcut!

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Yep. Nice sig, though a little too streched...
Directly to the stats. Very usefull link ;)

Cheers,
Fire Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This last work unit appears to be a small one, I've completed 105/125. But it's took four days to get that far, and that's with the CPU steadily holding at 100%, and it's been at that level since I started folding. Could this be a large work unit appearing small, or does that sometimes happen? The laptop's running fine, I've checked emails with it, but it's been somewhere around three weeks since it was last powered down. Honestly, I didn't actually expect the laptop to keep going this long at 100% of CPU usage. I had to place an oven mitt under it, it's that hot.

Reaction score
Remember when I was referring to the WU that takes me three times longer to complete. I'm not sure why but the fractional number is half my regular WU. All I know is it depends on which project that you are working at the time.

Cat, I hope you are not covering the ventilation ports on the laptop.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
No, I wouldn't cover the vents on it. That may cause a fire. In fact, I removed the battery and opened the DVD tray for more ventilation. Plus, as hot as the laptop is, I'm afraid for the battery to be in it. I sleep right next to the table it's sitting on. As long as it's running, I guess it's alright.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Cat - don't put any cloth items under the laptop because as c_c states it will block the ventilation ports. Get a laptop cooler stand, much better solution and cost around $20. You're gonna fry that thing if you're not careful.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I found an extra glass "counter saver" a couple of minutes ago, and placed the laptop on that. I also placed one of those personal fans to where it would force air under it. That mitt was hot. After this job completes, I'll shut it down for a while and start over. After three weeks of continually running, it deserves an overnight break, it has certainly earned one.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Finally, I got the program going again, through XP Pro. It was going nowhere for four days on 7, it made it to 120/125, then the system crashed & restarted. After over three weeks of non-stop running, it came right back on. But I tried a different approach, I went back to XP, repaired the program, and have completed one and a half work units since. Hopefully by sometime in the morning, this one will complete. Funny thing, the lower the number, right now it's at 97/250, it takes longer than the 2500 one that I completed yesterday. But it does seem to be moving forward again, that's the main thing. Hopefully, it will run another three weeks before it crashes again, and get some work done.

Ask a Question