Folding@home for w7forums.com

Reaction score
If anyone is using a Dual Core or better, The SMP2 client is a better option. There is two client versions

6.29 beta for Deino MPI (32-bit only)
Requirements for installation

1. You must have a 32 bit OS for DEINO to work. If you have a 64 bit OS, you must pick the MPICH version since DEINO doesn't work at all. The MPICH guide can be found here.
  2. You have a computer with at least a recent dual core or better to run the SMP client. This mean than the older single core processors won't be able to run it. Since it's a high performance client, if you notice that after installation, it doesn't always meet the deadlines, please use the uniprocessor client instead.
  3. If you are installing this under Windows XP, you are required to download and install the Microsoft .NET framework v2.0. You can download the package from Microsoft. Windows Vista already includes the necessary package by default so it's not necessary to do it if you install the client under Vista.
  4. If you are running Windows XP, you need to have the Service Pack 3 (SP3) installed to make the client work right. If you don't have this service pack, it's possible the client will not behave properly.
  5. The Windows user account you are using to install the client must have a password and have enough administrator rights. Blank passwords will not work and you must have a password only with those valid characters : A-Z, a-z and 0-9. Special characters should not be used to avoid any potential issues. If you change the password of the Windows user account, you need to rerun install.bat. The password being used to install is encrypted in the registry and not transmitted to the Stanford servers.
6.29 beta for MPICH (32-bit or 64-bit)

Requirements for installation
  1. You must have a computer with at least a recent dual core processor or better to run the SMP client. This also means older single core processors will not meet the very short work unit deadlines. If after installing this high performance client on an older dual or and older quad core system, and the client is not meeting the work unit deadlines, please uninstall the SMP client, and switch to using one or more instances of the CPU and/or GPU client.
  2. Before installing this client on Windows XP, you are required have installed the Microsoft .NET framework v2.0 (or newer), if not installed already. You can download the package from Microsoft. Windows Vista already includes the necessary .NET package by default so it is not necessary to update .NET in Windows Vista.
  3. Windows XP Service Pack 3 is strongly recommended. If you don not have this service pack installed, the client may not run properly.
  4. The Windows user account that will be running the SMP client MUST have a password. The Windows user account that will be installing the SMP client MUST have and have enough administrator rights. Blank passwords will not work and you must have a password only with those valid characters : A-Z, a-z and 0-9. Special characters should not be used to avoid any potential issues. If you change the password of the Windows user account, you need to run the install.bat file again. Note the password used to install is encrypted in the registry and not transmitted to the Stanford servers.
Did you notice that both clients required a passworded Windows login account?

With either client a passkey is required to claim bonus point's for completing work unit's faster than the recommended completion date. - Folding at home Passkey FAQ

I'm also using a program to monitor my Folding at Home status. It's not absolutely necessary but handy if you want to watch the status of your clients - HFM.NET

Reaction score
Clifford,
i have a laptop here with two i5 CPU's running win 7 x64bit,I would like to get in on this seeing that it is for resources.If it will work on my computer I will read the links find the correct download & I will Go for it.I have seen (Read)in your previous post there is a download for 64bit user I am a bit confused if anyone can point me in the right direction I can go it from there.

regards
jeffreyobrien

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Jeffrey, when I visited the page, it suggested to me (based on my browser & something else) the download. It will be the first one, that's the way it was with me. Hope you get it working.

Reaction score
Jeffrey this one should work for you.

Instructions - 6.29 beta for MPICH (32-bit or 64-bit)
Download page - http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

Be sure its the MPICH that works with 64-Bit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
First thing you need a UserID and Password for Windows Login if not already setup.

Once you have run the installer, find the folder where the installer placed the files and run the install.bat. You may need to do so as administrator.

You should be all set to run the client. First time through will setup the client.cfg file for storing all your settings. Any time you want to change the settings simple delete the client.cfg file and start the client again or manually edit the file yourself and then restart the client.

If you have everything setup correctly the client will download a file called "FahCore_a3.exe". This core is the new core which is the one that gives an extra bonus. Let me know if this is not the core that was downloaded.

Reaction score
Catilley,
thank for the heads up I will do this tommorrow as its mothers day here today & well I have to do the right thing.When & if i get it up & running I will let you know and the stats should arrive on win7forum team certificate ?
thanks again
jeffreyobrien

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
A lot has happened since I went out for the day.

Jeffreyobrien, thanks for the interest. The team could use those kind of resources. Good luck in setting it up.

Cat and Firecat, welcome and thanks for jumping in. In 2 days the team has made great strides.

c_c, thanks for getting me involved in a worthwhile cause. There are many distributed computing causes out there and I was thinking of joining one soon. You introduced this thread at a perfect time for me.

And thanks to Niburu2012 for the clear explanations and links.

Lets crunch!

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Now that I have it installed on my laptop (on XP Pro) and going (10/250), what is this all about? I did notice it involves molecules and has to do a lot with science, but what is the purpose & goal of the program? I seen that they have a forum, and appear very competitive and show great enthusiasm for folding, and there is actually a shortage of "work" at times. However, I've read several posts, and I can't possibly communicate with these people. This is a highly regarded university behind this program. What is folding, and the purpose of it?

Reaction score
I must admit to folding for another team when I started this team. I have my computer folding 2 or 3 work units a day. I'm waiting for everyone else to get a good start and then I will fully commit my computer to this team. :)

Reaction score
what is this all about? I did notice it involves molecules and has to do a lot with science, but what is the purpose & goal of the program?
This is how I see it. I could be wrong though.

The only answer I can give without know all the details myself and possibly being a part of the team at the university is that this project is about finding cures. Somehow they can calculate how genes will fold as in genetics changing over time or from one generation to the next. They may even through this project figure out how to reverse diseases by learning how genes fold.

In the real world people die before much research can be done and the process is slow. Computers can simulate disease and the effects of treatment at a much faster rate. More people folding means faster results.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
what is this all about? I did notice it involves molecules and has to do a lot with science, but what is the purpose & goal of the program?

From Wikipedia:

Folding@home
(sometimes abbreviated as FAH or F@h) is a distributed computing (DC) project designed to perform computationally intensive simulations of protein folding and other molecular dynamics (MD), and to improve on the methods available to do so. It was launched on October 1, 2000, and is currently managed by the Pande Group, within Stanford University's chemistry department, under the supervision of Professor Vijay Pande.

Folding@home is the most powerful distributed computing cluster in the world, according to Guinness,[2] and one of the world's largest distributed computing projects.[3] The goal of the project is "to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases."[4]

Accurate simulations of protein folding and misfolding enable the scientific community to better understand the development of many diseases, including sickle-cell disease (drepanocytosis), Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, mad cow disease, cancer, Huntington's disease, cystic fibrosis, osteogenesis imperfecta, alpha 1-antitrypsin deficiency, and other aggregation-related diseases.[5] More fundamentally, understanding the process of protein folding — how biological molecules assemble themselves into a functional state — is one of the outstanding problems of molecular biology. So far, the Folding@home project has successfully simulated folding in the 1.5 millisecond range[6] — which is a simulation thousands of times longer than it was previously thought possible to model.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The last part of your post made things clear to me. It's most certainly a worthwhile project, and for the right reasons. I realize that there's many illnesses which there is no known cure for to date, and I hope that this helps many whose lives are at stake to get a cure.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Well, I joined the team and downloaded a client. However, in the FAQ it says the following:
To verify the client is progressing, open the task manager and make sure there is 4 instances of FahCore_ax.exe in the list.
I only have one instance of fahcore_a3 running... Did something go awry?

Reaction score
Thanks for joining :D
I only have one instance of fahcore_a3 running... Did something go awry?
No, Everything is working fine as long as your CPU usage for all cores is where you set it to be in the client.cfg. Thats the thing about the SMP2 client, one client works all your cores. :)

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I configured it to start as a service after I reboot. However, it's currently running in a window as a console client, and it's at 14% or something. I need to reboot soon to finish some installations. Will rebooting my machine while it's in the middle of whatever it does interrupt it and mess up its progress?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Ah... My parents confiscated my latop and Ipod Touch.
Sorry guys, but I'm out for a few months, till my grades get better.
Luckily, they didn't take my smartphone, so I'll still be on the forums!

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score

Cheers,
Fire Cat
LMAO! That's good for you Fire Cat! Good to see your parent's still care about your future!

I know you're upset but it's best for you at this time. Keep your nose to the grindstone and it will all work out.

Mark Twain, the famous American author had this to say about his father:
When I was 15 I could not believe how stupid my father was, by the time I turned 21 I was amazed at how much he had learned!.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
:rofl: :lol::congrats:I'm sorry but that takes me waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayy back!

Hurry back after you ace a few.:)

Ask a Question