Folding@home for w7forums.com

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I just finished my first job on my desktop, it asked me to upload results, I allowed it to, I read the log file, I was thanked. Hopefully soon, my work unit will show on the team's list.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks, I just went into the control and unchecked permissions, so if I'm not here or asleep, it'll go on through.:) BTW, who is Unhyper? I've never seen that name on here before.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You know what? I checked my certificate, it doesn't show on the team's yet. It says that I've completed 1 unit, then I clicked the certificate and I have one, but it says zero on it. What's up with that? It also said my score was 106, but that certificate also reports zero. Does this deal take some time to update?

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I have to help fold the bed sheets @ home ... but thats a diferent story :D ;)
Those king size fitted sheets are a bas#!*&!#

Ah, that would be me. I use that name on various sites, particularly when Core is already taken. I just put that in as my name without even thinking about it, apparently.
Great. You can be the calming influence on the team

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have tried this and find it an interesting program. I used the "standard" program and it worked fine but excrutiantly slow.

Tried the "super x64" version and couldn't get the darn thing to work. All that "command line" stuff is so late '80s & early '90s.

If this Stanford project wants people to use the software they need to write the apps so they are more user-friendly.

Reaction score
If this Stanford project wants people to use the software they need to write the apps so they are more user-friendly.
I do agree with you on that. I don't see where a GUI frontend loader would be that difficult to program. However for me personally, it's not that difficult. :)

Did you det it working, or fall back to the standard client?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It was simple for me to setup and use on both my laptop & desktop, really, there's not much configuration to it. The only options that I seen were in a box, when I clicked "Configure". It can be slow at times, I do agree with you on that. It takes me around 24 hours to complete one work unit.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I do agree with you on that. I don't see where a GUI frontend loader would be that difficult to program. However for me personally, it's not that difficult. :)

Did you det it working, or fall back to the standard client?
Right now I removed both versions, I would like to run the x64 high-end version to take advantage of my high speed CPU and RAM but I can't seem to get the cotton pickin' thing to work.

The standard version was easy peasy, lemon squeezy!

Reaction score
It's the console clients that do not have a GUI (Graphical User Interface). The SMP2 clients are console clients.

If I am not mistaken, catilley you have the standard GUI client. This client is easier to configure and maintain. However it is a single core client and does not give bonus points.

For the multicore processors, there is no GUI client. All configuration is done through Commandline interface or DOS prompt if you will. A frontend loader would make things simpler, the purpose for them are to provide a GUI interface for loading Commandline interface executables.

---------------------------------------
I could write a script, if the client.cfg didn't have an odd ball "carriage returns" or "end of line" characters if you will. As far as I can tell I have no way to duplicate this character with the commandline script for editing the client.cfg file.

If you open client.cfg in wordpad you will see each line as they are. However if you edit the file and save it, you will effectively damage the file. If you open client.cfg in notepad you will see all the line separated by an invisible character within one line. This invisible character is the End Of Line Character, which I cannot duplicate within commandline script. This character is also what is changed when you save the file from wordpad. You can edit using notepad if you are careful not to delete these invisible character which is required for an End Of Line character.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I downloaded the recommended version in both cases. My desktop is a dual core, mabye it missed something. Wait, I remember something about this. When the first program was finished, there was some message relating to freeing up the core. I don't know, on my other OS (Ultimate), I'll pay closer attention as to what's offered to me. I just downloaded the top one from the list, being that they recommended it, based upon information obtained from my browser. Next time, I'll use IE to download with, there are fewer security add ons, and that may have played a hand in the recommendation.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Okay... I've got it now running.

I'm using this version of the Advanced Client software: Folding@home-Win32-GPU-systray-623

Here's a screenshot:

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'll check that one out on my next install of the program, which will be tomorrow. After the one I'm doing now on my desktop finishes, I'm going to stop the process on this OS. Then I'll wait for any updates (this is the second Tuesday of the month) to arrive. After that, I'll install the program (the one Nibiru is showing) on Ultimate, and see how it does. Hopefully, it'll fly! I'm at 1425/2500 on my third one. And BTW, I now see my certificate with the points and work units updated.:top:

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I'm at 1200/10000 right now, just installed it a little over an hour ago, about 3:45 PM.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
My goodness. That's beautiful, Nibiru. All I got was a console window. And now that it loads as a service, not even that.

Is there a difference in terms of performance between the GPU and multicore CPU versions?

It sure is hammering the cores. It does ease up on the cpu time when I launch another app, but it's not as quick to adjust as I'd like. Basic web browsing while it runs is okay, but it brings something like Farmville to its knees.

Ask a Question