Reaction score
I managed to add it to my signature. ;)
Looks great! Thamks a lot!

Cheers,
Fire Cat

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I'm trying my own. Trying to make the link active.
Not working, Back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm trying my own. Trying to make the link active.
Not working, Back to the drawing board.
I fixed the link for you. :)

I saw where you added the link, it wasn't assigned to any text or image. When adding links you must first select what you want the link to go with.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Thank-you!

I was going to work on it when I got back from helping my niece move out of her dorm. That could have gone better. She lives on the sixth floor of a high rise building. One of the two elevators decided break down on move out day. :(

Reaction score
I helped move someones vehicle today and that could have gone better too. I am so glad that is over. We almost lost our load. Taking off from a stop the vehicle rolled half off the trailer because the straps had come loose. :eek:

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
They sure do give me small workloads for some reason. I'm now working on one, it's at 7/250. Does that pause function work in a way where your work is saved when your desktop is turned off? I don't mind running it while using it, but like Veedaz, I don't want it running 24/7. Something I don't care for, I'll run the hell out of it, but not my main system. This laptop has run at 100% of it's resources for almost a week now, it's hot, but I removed the battery & opened my DVD tray to allow it more air. Plus, the thing was so hot, it actually burned my leg when it was sitting on it. I didn't realize just how hot it was. Never been burned by a laptop before, guess there's a first time for everything.:D

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
the thing was so hot, it actually burned my leg when it was sitting on it. I didn't realize just how hot it was. Never been burned by a laptop before
Even running that program, your laptop should not be THAT hot! When was the last time you cleaned the inside of the laptop? Dust can accumulate there, especially around the CPU cooler and mobo and cause the heat to buildup.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Even running that program, your laptop should not be THAT hot! When was the last time you cleaned the inside of the laptop? Dust can accumulate there, especially around the CPU cooler and mobo and cause the heat to buildup.
It hasn't been shut down for over two weeks now, I was doing a ton of non-stop erasing with it for nearly a week on XP, then I started folding, first with XP, then Windows 7. Laptops get a lot hotter than desktops do, at least that's been my experience. But I haven't seen one run this hot before. It really was hot, the red mark is still on my leg. What happened was, I take a lot of medicine for pain, plus wear one of those fentanyl patches (75mcg) that I change every three days. I fell asleep with the laptop on my lap, and the heat woke me. Probably the CPU running at 100% non-stop has made it hot. Those Dell's are tough!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I would still highly recommend that you clean the inside of that laptop. It's an old laptop and if you've never cleaned the inside especially the CPU cooler and other areas I can guarantee you that you have a big build-up of dust bunnies!

Laptops are more prone to dust build-up due to the nature of the way they're used. People put them on the bed, the floor, the couch and other areas where dust can accumulate more than a desktop.

I have a desktop system and every 10-12 months I completely disassemble it and blow out the excess dust from all the nooks and crannies. Remove the power supply and blow it out, take off the CPU heatsink and clean it up, reapply new thermal compound and re-seat it on the CPU. I just did it this past Monday and the CPU idle temps went from 43 deg. Celsius to 36 deg. Celsius.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I agree with you, you're right. I'm positive that it needs cleaning, badly. But the truth is, it's under warranty until mid October, the laptop cost me $400, if it breaks down to the point of it costing a lot to fix, my money is simply refunded. Last year, they refunded me $350 over a shot hard drive, I know for a fact that laptop drives (it was the same model as this one) aren't that expensive.

What I really want is one of those HP laptops with the Intel i7 installed. There was one on sale at Wal Mart for $598 a couple of weeks ago. A 15 inch screen, 320GB hard drive, 4GB RAM, and the processor I mentioned above. Ready for me to run without upgrading it, except the OS. I'd install Ultimate as a dual boot to what's on there. So with that in mind, why bother with this old laptop? I will not cut it off, and I'll continue to fold until it crashes for the final time. Hopefully, this makes my position on this old laptop more clear. I just checked, the CPU usage is holding at 100%, once in a while, the graph bar goes down, then jumps straight back up. I'm currently folding & erasing at the same time, it's been a tough one, but it's also time for a new one. Hopefully, I'll get one soon.:D

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
So you're basically burning it to the ground in the hopes that the warranty will cover an upgrade to a bigger and better machine?

Ironically, I feel like what you're doing is wrong, while I'd probably do the same thing.

Ask a Question