SOLVED Displays keep blanking after 1 minute unless active, contrary to power settings

Reaction score
I've got an older desktop running 64-bit Windows 7 Pro. What started happening about a month ago is that the display (or both of them when two are connected) simply goes black after no activity for about one minute. Moving the mouse brings them back every time, so this isn't fatal, but I've set the power options to turn off the display only after 3 hours of inactivity. It is obviously ignoring that setting.

What makes the matter more interesting is that the same thing happens with two different video cards from different manufacturers. The first was an AMD card, and the second is an nVidia card (tried one after the other, not simultaneously). Therefore, they're even using different drivers.

Thus it seems to me to be a Windows problem rather than a graphics subsystem problem. I've run SFC a couple of times, but it found no errors.

Any suggestions as to what to try next? Thanks!

Reaction score
Well, I found a great work-around, a utility named "Caffeinated". There are competing utilities, such as Coffee and Insomnia and others, but none of them work for me. It can be found here: Desmond Brand's Caffeinated

It works perfectly for me!

Ask a Question