Coprocessor Problem ASUS Aspire M1640

Reaction score
Hey there guys. First post here and here's the problem.

I have a coprocessor problem, it shows up with a yellow triangle next to it, Windows Update can't find it either.

I have an ACER aspire m1640

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor and a NVIDIA chipset. Only one driver exist on the ACER drivers page for this computer.

If you can find me a link to a driver for the co-processor because the whole computer freezes randomly (not often though) and I think that the co processor not having a driver is the cause.

thank you!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I suggest you reinstall 32-bit W7.

Acer only supports this thru Vista and only in 32-bit. The 32-bit Vista drivers will likely work if you install 32-bit W7.

Your W7 key is valid for either 32 or a 64-bit version so you just need to install the other one.

Reaction score
I suggest you reinstall 32-bit W7.

Acer only supports this thru Vista and only in 32-bit. The 32-bit Vista drivers will likely work if you install 32-bit W7.

Your W7 key is valid for either 32 or a 64-bit version so you just need to install the other one.

Thanks for your reply, but I bought this 2nd hand with Win7 x64 installed on it.. is there no replacement driver ie for a similar co-processor?

Or can I disable the co-processor so Win7 doesn't look for it (and therefore not crash)?

I thought Acer would have better support for their computers, even if they are a couple of years old!

I just find it strange that it's a 64bit computer but doesn't support a 64bit OS. :(

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I thought Acer would have better support for their computers, even if they are a couple of years old!

I just find it strange that it's a 64bit computer but doesn't support a 64bit OS. :(
It's more than a couple years, the thing is ancient. Hell, the hardware was already old when they first sold the thing, which was pretty common for "budget" desktops.

Its 64-bit support is spotty because the thing wasn't meant to run a 64-bit operating system. Yes, the processor is 64-bit ready but there the compatibility ends. It was shipped with only 2 GB of RAM and a slow-ass dual-core processor, guaranteeing that it would bring a 64-bit Vista to its knees. This was released at a time when 64-bit support wasn't as common as it is now, and most users would run 32-bit applications anyway. El cheapo computers were sold with 32-bit Windows whether they technically could run 64-bit or not.

If I were you, I'd try 32-bit Windows 8 on it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Computers change so fast, especially the laptops, that anything older than 3 years is probably considered obsolete. And manufacturers want to sell new computers, not spend man hours to write new drivers for machines they already sold, so they will usually support only one OS past the one the product shipped with.

So I honestly think you will need 32-bit. What to do now ...

So since you bought it this way, maybe you don't have the W7 DVDs to reinstall? You can use another computer to download and burn the 32-bit version of W7. Be sure to get the 32-bit (x86) version that matches what you have, likely Home Premium but Professional or Ultimate are there if that is what you have. Read this thread >>HERE<< for the W7 ISO and how to burn it to a blank DVD or if your laptop doesn't have a DVD-Rom then read further down that thread for a way to create a bootable W7 flash drive.

Next you will need the W7 product key from your laptop; hopefully they sold you a laptop with a legitimate W7 key, believe me that isn't always the case, especially if you got it off the internet. To get your product key install SIW onto your laptop and run it. Look under the section Software > Licenses and get the Windows Product Key and write it down (Never post the product key here or anywhere on the internet).

Now back up your data to an external device. Format the hard drive (note: as with any custom install, any software that was on the drive will be lost) and install 32-bit Windows 7 using your product key. NOTE: the product key is most likely an upgrade version so you may have to run the install twice after you format the hard drive (see "double install" method).

Then install any software you need. There is some very good software in our Freeware DB.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the info..I will try to download and install the 32 bit Win7 today and hope for the best!!

Ask a Question