Computer completely freezes, need help.

Reaction score
Hello,

My pc keeps freezing after the start up, even in safe mode it freezes which leads me to believe that the problem is hardware related ?!

I have changed my memory ram sticks, I have re installed windows 7, i have checked all fans ( they all seem to work), and the computer just freezes, nothing works, not even the task manager, or the light on caps lock. Although when it freezes I sometimes notice a change on the noise that the computer makes.

System:

AMD Athlon II X2 250 processor - 3.0 Ghz
4 Gb ram
Ati radeon HD 5400 series

And I am using Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is this a brand new build or did it work in the past (for how long) and now doesn't?

Check your BIOS settings, especially RAM timings. Disable all overclocking.

Boot up with the W7 DVD and go to the command prompt and CHKDSK the hard drive.

You haven't given us much to go on so it's guessing and trial and error.

Reaction score
Hello, and thanks for the reply TrainableMan . Yes, It is a brand new build. The BIOS is all on default settings, should I change something ?

And I also noticed that the fan in the front case of my computer doesn't spin.

Some pictures:

This is just showing to you what kind of computer it is, the fan that doesn;t work is on the picture below

And this one is the fan that doesnt work.

Could this be the problem ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Also in case you are wondering my power supply is a power X3, model : ATX-500204 , Max wattage: 500W

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, the fan not spinning is a problem but not likely the cause of your current freezing. Still, this needs to be fixed to prevent permanent damage to your hardware. For now you could operate it with the door open until you replace the fan (just don't reach in there while it's on because a little static electricity and poof you blow a component).

Does the fan over your CPU spin? Because if not then that could be your issue if your CPU is shutting down because it's too hot.

Please specify the make/model of RAM. Do you have the RAM timings set properly in the BIOS? This is the quite possibly the issue.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
The cpu fan works, though? I assume thermal paste was applied when it was installed...

Reaction score
Yes, all the other fans are working, unfortunately I don't know what do you mean with RAM timings, The ram I am using is a Kingston 4gb, I will upload pictures in a second.

Reaction score
I also want to mention that once I log into the windows the computer usually works fine for about 15/20 seconds but during that time it makes a quite loud noise and after the pc completely freezes the noise goes back to normal, so whilst the computer it's frozen the noise it's normal, but when it works during those 15/20 seconds, it does a strange noise :/

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
That isn't good at all. It could be your hard drive or one of the fans (maybe even the fan in the power supply). You should try isolating from where the sound comes from (again easier if you leave the cover off). I am concerned you could permanently damage your parts if something isn't hooked up right or a fan is binding, etc.

You need to answer Core's question, too - did you add the thermal paste to the cpu/cooler?

I'm no expert on this but I bet that is the wrong RAM for that asrock n68c-s ucc motherboard. I can read right in the photo DDR2 1066, DDR3 1600 Dual Channel. The Kingston is DDR3 1333 and you only have one of them. If I'm right, you should use DDR3 1600 memory in the blue slot and in order to use the Dual Channel Memory Technology you should install it in identical pairs, so if you only want 4GB buy 2x2GB sticks. But you should probably get someone else to confirm what I just said before you return it and buy new RAM.

ASRock N68C UCC Mobo Manual said:
This motherboard provides two 240-pin DDR2 (Double Data Rate 2) DIMM slots
and two 240-pin DDR3 (Double Data Rate 3) DIMM slots, and supports Dual
Channel Memory Technology. For dual channel configuration, you always need
to install identical (the same brand, speed, size and chip-type) DDR2/DDR3
DIMM pair in the slots of the same color. In other words, you have to install
identical DDR2 DIMM pair in Dual Channel (DDRII_1 and DDRII_2; Yellow slots;
see p.11 No.6), or identical DDR3 DIMM pair in Dual Channel (DDR3_A1 and
DDR3_B1; Blue slots; see p.11 No.7), so that Dual Channel Memory Technology
can be activated.
Source

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes I did add thermal paste. So I guess I will have to get New ram sticks, DDR3 1600, I will buy them and try, I will post once I try it, to keep you guys informed :)

Thank you for your help!

Reaction score
And yes, you are absolutely right that is what it says on the motherboard. I wonder if that would cause the change in noise although :/ Just hope that everything else is working properly. Anyways, Thanks, and I will post once I try ! :)

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
If you boot into BIOS and leave it there, does it freeze then too? Does your BIOS have a page reporting CPU temperatures?

It's the sudden way it freezes (and so soon after boot) that troubles me...

Reaction score
No core, in BIOS is doesn't freeze at all, and yes I think it does have a page with the temperatures.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Personally I think you should still change the memory, why use slower than you have to, plus why wouldn't you want to use the dual channel technology by having 2 matching sticks? 2x2gb is usually cheaper than 1x4gb anyway.

Reaction score
I'm back :D, after analysing the hard drive, I came to the conclusion that the noise actually comes from there (my hard drive) which leads me to believe that what is causing my freezes is my HD, now the the problem is, I would like to test first before buying a new HD sata, but unfortunately I don't own any other sata HD, but my mobo supports IDE Hard drives which I have from an older Computer: http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68C-S UCC/?cat=Specifications

Correct me if im wrong, but I have tried to connect the IDE Hard drive to my new computer and didn;t work, a blue screen showed up, I probably connected something wrong. So I would like an opinion on how to do it, without having to buy an adapter. If it's possible of course.

Thanks in advance

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
With IDE the cable usually has two plugs at one end and a single plug on the other. Be sure to plug the single end into your mobo into the ide connection marked with the lowest #, example IDE 0. Be sure your IDE hard drive is pinned properly; there are usually a series of pins and should be set to "cable select" or to "master". Then of the two plugs you need the Master connection which will be at the very end of the IDE cable (the plug in the middle of the chain is Slave and you do NOT want that). And of course the HD also requires power from the power supply as well.

Last edited:

Ask a Question