Cannot delete "Avast Software" key from registry

JDD

Reaction score
Hi!

Been trying to remove all traces of Avast from my Windows7Ultimate pc.

First thing I did was to use Avast's uninstall utility.

Then I searched the entire computer (C and D drives) for anything 'avast' and
deleted 151 files.

Then I searched the registry and deleted anything 'avast'.

But there was one key I could not delete from the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\AVAST Software

On another forum I found an Avast Software folder sitting in,
File explorer -> Program Files -> Common Files -> Avast Software
and deleted it.

Still cannot delete the registry key.

I found an Avast Software folder sitting in Task Scheduler under Task Scheduler Library

When I tried to delete it I got,

When i right-clicked the Avast Software folder and tried to Display All Running Tasks I got,

I checked Services and found Task Scheduler started:

And now I'm stumped.

What to do?

How to:

1) Remove the Avast Software folder from Task Scheduler/

2) Remove the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\AVAST Software key?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Oh rats! I see you did an earlier thread and that you did try the Uninstall Utility. Well, that makes things interesting. Maybe this thread should be locked and we can continue in the other thread. That will give me time to remove my "I'm-So-Stupid" cap and try and put on a proper thinking cap and help you in that other thread. "I'm-So-Stupid" because I should have checked first to see if there were any other Avast related threads on THIS site. Standard style thinking which I forgot. Now I have to look around for that thinking cap I am sure is around this work station someplace.

JDD

Reaction score
Oh rats! I see you did an earlier thread and that you did try the Uninstall Utility. Well, that makes things interesting. Maybe this thread should be locked and we can continue in the other thread. That will give me time to remove my "I'm-So-Stupid" cap and try and put on a proper thinking cap and help you in that other thread. "I'm-So-Stupid" because I should have checked first to see if there were any other Avast related threads on THIS site. Standard style thinking which I forgot. Now I have to look around for that thinking cap I am sure is around this work station someplace.
I have reported you for harassment.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I have reported you for harassment.
I think there may have been some crossed wires or misunderstanding, as I can't see any harassment at all. Delving is trying to help you, but in the other thread:

Reaction score
JDD, I profusely apologize if you thought I was referring to yourself as being stupid. I was not! I was referring to myself for being stupid for not properly checking this site first to see if there were other threads that could relate to that most recent Avast thread I was posting in.

Possibly you felt/feel my stating this thread should be locked was a form of some sort of harassment, but that is actually the usual procedure on tech sites and that is done to keep things from getting confused.

Again, it was never my intention in anything I wrote to be displaying a harassment style of communication to be aimed at yourself, JDD.

Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question