Cannot delete files from External Hard drive

Reaction score
Years ago when I transferred data from old computer to new W7 Ultima computer, I created many copies of data from old computer such as Program Files, etc.

My EHDrive is getting full and I am trying to delte some of this old stuff. In Program Files, I keep getting told I need Admistrator control but I am the Admistrator so don't know what to do.

Strange - any ideas? Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
This is another access issue but this one is easily solved with the "Take Ownership" script. Basically it does in batch some of what I'm trying to have you do to lock out the guest account access in the other thread (except this script grants permission and over there we are trying to take it away).

Download and install Take Ownership available in our Freeware DB Files and Folders section. Then in Windows Explorer find the highest level folder(s) and right-click and choose "Take Ownership". The script will run granting you access to all files and folders from there down.

Reaction score
Thanks again. Seems simple enough, except what do you mean "find the highest level folder(s)"? Do you mean the Admistrator permissions?
I am a literal person and easily confused, sorry.

Thanks to for the Free DB file section, very helpful.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
He means the folders at the root of the drive.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Patti the root is the Level 0 of a drive, example C:\. The highest level folders (Level 1) sit right off the root, example C:\Windows, C:\Users, C:\Program Files. Then those folders can have sub-folders and those sub-folders can have sub-folders, etc.

RootFoldersSubFolders.jpg

In simple terms, from top to bottom, pick the very first folder in the windows explorer list that you want to delete and Take Ownership. Then delete it. Do the same for any more "unauthorized" folders you need to delete.

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Hi Patti.
Terminology can be confusing but stick with it.
I hope to be able to help with the external drive clean-up In the next day or 2. Been real busy with visiting family for 2 weeks and now they are starting to leave. It's been fun but our routine has been upended a bit.
Welcome back!

Ask a Question